WHEN should DEMA be held?

Buyers, for you, which is the best month to hold the DEMA Show? (Buyers only please)

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oceanus

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I'm doing this for a couple of reasons:
  • As an Independent Sales Agent I would prefer to meet with customers when they are most interested in purchasing
  • Mike Ange has posted on our site that DEMA has been unresponsive to the customer

from DEMA Show Seaduction Forums
It has long been my belief that the DEMA show has become an anachronism. The show - like any business should be about catering to the needs of its CUSTOMERS. As an exhibitor I try to meet the needs of my clients as effectively as possible. The dive retailer is the client for this show - and in spite of numerous examples that demonstrate that the retailers want a show that is more in sync with the purchasing cycles of a dive shop. They refuse to meet this need. My retail facility participated in a survey in 2004 or 05 where they asked several questions about the show to over 1000 retailers. As a participant in the survey the accounting firm sent us copies of the results. Over 900 of the respondents (less than 1000 responded) indicated clearly that the timing of the show needed to be changed. DEMA reported in its status report that a very small majority of the "stakeholders" would like the timing changed. My dive store staff has not attended a show since 2004 and it has not hurt us one bit! Open it to consumers or close it completely it will not affect our business one way or the other.

Coming as both a buyer and customer for many of the products at Dema, i really like the October month. Now i would also be happy with a April month.

Being that like most our busy season is May To Sept.. Oct/Nov works well as typically we drive down and would hate to do it in a snow storm.

I'm not voting because I am a vendor. Worse, I am one of the dreaded travel destination vendors. I liked it way better when it was back in February. That wasn't good for the manufacturers, so it was moved. I believe most dive shops do not do the majority of their buying at DEMA anymore. It used to be a fun place to catch up with the folks you hadn't seen in a year, but now it has passed by the wayside. It needs to be renamed Big-ass SCUBA Travel Show.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom