When should a shop request your C-Card?

What type of purchase should a Diver be Carded for?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blackvans1234,

Get out there and dive; stop worry about things you don't have control over.

Come to Jupiter and dive; we will show you how to kill lionfish but we will ask for your C-card to get on the boat.

Does the auto parts store check your mechanics certification when you buy brake parts to repair your brakes. You know brakes are life support equipment for both the driver and others.

The point of my original post was not to shift responsibility onto the dive shop for my safety, but for the dive shop to cover their own asses by those that try to shift the responsibility.

It doesnt do my dive career any good to sue if im dead, so why would I shift the responsibility onto them?
I cannot figure out why so many readers of this thread think that I am one of those people
The entire reason for the survey/post is to see opinions on when dive shops should cover their own butts. Why would they need to? because in the USA everyone is out to sue everyone, and there are frivolous lawsuits that WIN. Why else does there have to be "Caution, this cup is hot" on the side of coffee cups?
The sad fact of life in the USA is that anyone can sue anyone else for anything at anytime. That doesn't mean that they'll win ... but if you base all of your decisions on covering your liability arse, you won't be able to get out of bed in the morning ... and then you can sue the mattress manufacturer for giving you bed sores ... :shocked2:

But the point is that it shouldn't be a law ... it should be a shop policy that makes the decision of when to ask for a c-card. The business owner should be solely responsible for deciding what circumstances are appropriate for asking to see someone's certification. If an agency has a policy, well and good ... the shop always has the option to choose a different agency if they don't like the agency policies. And customers always have the option to choose a different shop if they don't like theirs. Laws, or government intervention in any way, should not be a part of it.

There are currently shops that require you to have a big-ass banner across the middle of your nitrox tank before they'll put nitrox in it. One shop owner tried telling me once that it was required by law. Nonsense ... it's a shop policy. I know plenty of shops that don't require it ... and some who know they'd lose business by doing so.

Dive shop owners ... like their customers ... are better off when they can take responsibility for their decisions, and live (or not) with the consequences of them ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Careful... that could go either way, depending on the mood she is in when she reads it.....

:D :D :D

Nah. I'm safe. She knows I worship her. My Avatar pretty clearly shows that I married up. And no, she's not reading over my shoulder while I type. :)

ANd I don't need no stinking card as long as I wear a tank top. My tattoo on my left bicep says

"Scuba Instructor" with a skull wearing a dive mask and eye patch and crossed cutlasses underneath.

If that ain't good enough for a shop I don't want to deal with them any way. Tells me there's a lot they don't know.

The point of my original post was not to shift responsibility onto the dive shop for my safety, but for the dive shop to cover their own asses by those that try to shift the responsibility.

I see. Apparently a number of people misunderstood what you were on about in your original post then....

In fact, how dive-shops choose to run their businesses is no concern of ours. You may have a point in saying that you think it's unwise but that doesn't affect customers. I guess the business could be sued and maybe even have to close shop but there will alwasys be aother shop to fill in the gap. Long live the free market economy.

not... our... problem...

So now I'm kind of wondering what the point of this thread was...

R..

"Scuba Instructor" with a skull wearing a dive mask and eye patch and crossed cutlasses underneath.

As long as the mask is not on upside down :wink:......we all know how that ends

:sprint:

In a rare moment for me, I just read this entire thread before writing, and am ready now to respond. The original question is, when should you have to show your certification card? The correct answer is "when someone you want something from requires it in order to give you what you want." If you want to rent dive gear from a shop, get on a dive boat, rent an air tank or fill one, or whatever, if the person who is facilitating your diving is smart, and safe, and frankly, if they care about our sport at all, they will ask that you show you are qualified to use what is being provided, including a boat ride to dive. Sadly, there are those who do not care, both vendors and consumers. Those are foolish people. Diving is serious fun- and I for one am serious about both having fun and being safe. Unless they are a student under my supervision, I will not dive with un-certified divers. I do not want them to suggest, in they event of a problem happening, that I as a professional should not have let them dive. I do not trust them to know all that should be known before and when diving. I like to dive with competent, safe divers, who know the basics and theory of diving and proper procedures to follow. I say this as a diver first, a dive professional second, and as a lawyer third ( yes, I confess, I am a trial lawyer, have been for 33 years). Let's each step up and care about our own safety and the safety of those with whom we dive. Please. This discussion went off in the wrong direction- sort of "what can you get away with outside basic standards and safety and training." That is not the point. The point is if you love scuba, or think you might, get trained properly, be active and keep your skills (and equipment) tuned to excellence, and the you can really enjoy diving! Be PROUD to show your C-card. You're a diver!
DivemasterDennis scubasnobs.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom