When Sea Lions attack!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where did you get a 13mm hood? I never knew that they made neoprene that thick...

I had a wonderful time playing with juvenile California sea lions in January, but they were about a quarter that size. And they were too skittish to bite!

You were lucky, I was not trying to play, or be any where near, and the little PITA ruined a perfectly good 7mm boots, put a few holes in my ankle, and made some moves leaving small tears in the wetsuit of my buddy before leaving. A bit more force and my Achilles tendon would have been history. Obviously this juvnile had anger management problems.

A vet who treats marine animals told me to take the wounds seriously as sea lions have "filthy little mouthes, and can easily give you a nasty infection".

Bob
-----------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

I had the hood custom made for me by "Deep Thought Wetsuits" (Custom Wet Suits by Deep Thought Diving Products). It is 12mm neoprene on the head and 5 mm on the face and belll. It is a pain to get on and off but it really keeps me warm.

Lots of pups around at this time of the year. Really sounds like they were telling you to get lost more than playing.

We had a similar experience at Croker rock at the entrance to Browning Passage (Northern Vancouver Island). Not as rough as your experience, but they did manage to puncture one of the group's drysuit. I of course missed the whole thing as I was focused on macro and didn't even look up when one came by to bump me. However the others in the group were extremely excited at the end of the dive and the video was pretty spectacular. (Not mine to post.) Like a group of unruly puppies - that outweigh you by 7 or 800 lbs.

A dive you will remember :)

I had a similar day with just one sea lion at Los Islotes in the Sea of Cortez. Luckily, those guys are a lot smaller, but still big enough to kick my ass. The first two days there were fine, then on the last day a sea lion decided to sit on my head and smack me around a bit. He also found my strobes irresistable. I took my beating like a man.:D

Great shots and a terrific write up. We're taking that trip next summer. How did you deal with the holes in your drysuits? Is it practical to bring a spare?

I didn't have any leaks in my suit, but I did bring spare neck and wrist seals just in case. With ZipSeals it only takes a minute to change them out. On my first trip to Alaska three years ago I had a bad neck seal leak on the very first dive. I zipped a new seal on and was as dry as a bone for the rest of the trip. Other people dealt with small leaks with aquaseal and/or duct tape. Also the boat has some rental suits that you could use in the unlikely event that your suit is unrepairable. I got my wife and 75 year old Dad into rental drysuits twice; once to climb on the icebergs and once to swim with the salmon. There are photos from the two trips at Alaska 2011 - a set on Flickr and Alaska 2008 - a set on Flickr

Back
Top Bottom