When Is Enough Too Much? How Many People Should Inhabit Earth?

Do you believe will come a time when the world community will need to discuss population control?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

exactly - this sort of ideology is driven by those wanting to protect their own interests i.e. those who are already comfortable and dont want it threatened

As if politicians and political ideologues are not protecting their own self interest. I recognize there are people in this world who are living in difficult circumstances. I just differ greatly on what should (or could) be done about it. The US has already been demonized around the world for being over-involved in foreign policy even though few (if any) countries come close to levels of foreign aid and private humanitarian efforts.

You seem inclined to attack people who have worked hard to achieve a high standard of existence, but place no burden on the individual to work their own way into a better station.

You say that I am "already comfortable" and that is why my ideology is what it is. How ignorant of a statement is that. My first job was making $2.90/hr or less for odd jobs where I could get them. I could not afford College, and fought my way into a "comfortable" middle class existence and now pay nearly 45% of my earnings in taxes to support many to think they are too good to work hard for anything.

Sorry for the rant.. I am just a bit fed UP with people trying to shame others for their success ...and have an obtuse tendency to ignore human nature that will nearly ALWAYS make decisions that promote their own self interest.

if they really cared they wouldn't make that stuff

Wow.. you really seem think you know what everyone else thinks and is motivated by. I don't have the energy to educate you on this. I have actually done quite a but of research on PepsiCo, among others. I bet a lot more than you. Do you know anything about the current CEO?

Wow.. you really seem think you know what everyone else thinks and is motivated by. I don't have the energy to educate you on this. I have actually done quite a but of research on PepsiCo, among others. I bet a lot more than you. Do you know anything about the current CEO?
Then I guess you know that pepsico chief designer has stated that they have shifted their campaign from brand awareness through media to humanitarian works and thus gaining brand awareness that way

(hough were moving from the OP topic)

Population control is a form of consumption control. It's unlikely the masses will self-limit procreation on a strictly voluntary individual basis to a sufficient degree, and if they did, I imagine it'd contribute to the sort of negative process highlighted in the fiction movie Idiocracy (that people of lower intelligence and education are more likely to outbreed the more intellectually/educationally elite, dragging down the quality of the human race over time). Therefore, ironically:

who said anything and stealing im talking about things like fair trade and how about we not build another aircraft carrier. As I mentioned the core issue is greed and control and domination of another-at every level from media manipulation to sex trafficking right down to the oppression of villages in third world countries by some despot who wants power.
At some point we have to decide that we have enough and stop consuming - its starts with us

It may take a despot, whether in the person of an individual or group, to impose population control on a people. After all, it's China, not the United States, that had a go at it, and the U.S. complained about human rights abuses related to it.

You can't get away from discussing consumption with population control. The question of how many people the Earth can handle is impacted by what level of consumption they employ.

Richard.

Do you know anything about the current CEO?

I'm just curious.
Is he the typical CEO with the multi million dollar salary and massive bonuses?

A really high calibre CEO is often worth a multi-million dollar salary & massive bonus. True visionary, powerfully effective leadership as the CEO of a major company can have enormous & far ranging benefits for legions of blue & white collar workers, and customers. Think of what Steve Jobs did for Apple when he came back.

I don't know how the Pepsi guy stacks up as a CEO; I'm a Coke drinker.

Richard.

Discussing overpopulation is touchy. The subject is often considered callous to religious and/or ethnic sensitivities. The fact is that the number of humans currently alive on planet earth is more than can be sustained in a healthy manner.
What number of people need to inhabit the planet before we all can agree to openly discuss "human population management?"

Are you volunteering to be 'managed'?

I don't know how the Pepsi guy stacks up as a CEO; I'm a Coke drinker.

Richard.

The Pepsi "guy" is actually a woman. Indra Nooyi, who was born in India.

Back
Top Bottom