When is bad vis a problem?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I can tell you that low vis in Northern California is quite common. Combine that with larger swells and surge, cold water in the 45 to 50 degree range, urchins, rocky structure that can come out of nowhere when your getting jetisoned by the surge, and yes the always present thought of sharks. This makes for some adrenaline filled dives.
It really hits home when out of the gloom you come across a headless seal rolling around on the ocean floor.
Low vis always contributes to the drama and mystery.

How true!

I've found that I often see MORE in low vis. It forces me to go slow and pay attention to the little things that I would otherwise swim and look past without ever noticing. There's such a density of life that one can spend an enjoyable dive just exploring a single boulder.

Low vis diving involves both a skillset and a mindset.

Last edited:
My favorite dive site consists of the following: 135' wreck, 40 degree water and ZERO viz. In the spring this wreck usually runs 25 ft viz for about a week but after that it's lights out (literally - you can't see your light). I love closing my eyes and running the layout through my mind to find where I'm going...

I actually love low viz dives. Don't get me wrong, I like actually seeing the wreck that I'm diving, but there is just something about using your other senses to complete a dive, staying in contact with your buddy, etc. When that buddy is someone you've spent an awful lot of time with (in my case, my husband of 20 years) it's almost as if you simply know what the other person is going to do. So in saying that, for me the problems arise when I don't trust the person I'm diving with.

My favorite dive site consists of the following: 135' wreck, 40 degree water and ZERO viz. In the spring this wreck usually runs 25 ft viz for about a week but after that it's lights out (literally - you can't see your light). I love closing my eyes and running the layout through my mind to find where I'm going...

I actually love low viz dives. Don't get me wrong, I like actually seeing the wreck that I'm diving, but there is just something about using your other senses to complete a dive, staying in contact with your buddy, etc. When that buddy is someone you've spent an awful lot of time with (in my case, my husband of 20 years) it's almost as if you simply know what the other person is going to do. So in saying that, for me the problems arise when I don't trust the person I'm diving with.

DON'T EVER DIVE WITH SOME YOU DON'T TRUST, NEVER.:no::no:
If someone you dive with gives you reason to doubt them be very careful. Dive like your diving solo, which IMO is far better than diving with someone you don't trust.

Everyone who will dive bad viz should have blackout training so they don't panic!

That was a standard part of a scuba diving course in 1968. It isn't today? Why not?

If I only have a foot or less of viz I find I tend to close my eyes. Usually I am searching for an object and using the touch and feel method of locating it. I close my eyes as I don't like things looming up at me. It seems less creepy that way and I can be more methodical..

That was a standard part of a scuba diving course in 1968. It isn't today? Why not?

Same reason other basic skills have been eliminated. Shorten course means more divers thru in less time. Reduce education and they have to come back for more training. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ The student I have now plans on diving locally that means he will run into low vis conditions. Just like my other OW students they will get some no mask/low vis skill work in the pool. Mostly along the lines of keeping in contact with a buddy.

Same reason other basic skills have been eliminated. Shorten course means more divers thru in less time. Reduce education and they have to come back for more training. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ The student I have now plans on diving locally that means he will run into low vis conditions. Just like my other OW students they will get some no mask/low vis skill work in the pool. Mostly along the lines of keeping in contact with a buddy.

Thanks JimLap, I try to never miss a chance to tweak the box full of certs crowd. They can't believe one cert would cover so much.:D

I always dive as if I am diving solo (even with someone I trust).

WOW! Apparently lots of people, some of whom I respect, are limiting themselves to what they experience visually. I love diving. I love diving in 200 feet visibility. I enjoy the experience of seeing the beauty of the underwater world. I love the feeling of weightlessness. I enjoy that feeling when I'm diving in 200 ft visibility, but I also enjoy that feeling when I'm diving in black water. I think I may even enjoy it more in black water because the sights aren't distracting me from other sensations. Cruising along slowly, feeling the caress of water, looking at tiny creatures 3 inches away is a wonderful experience. If you've made throw away dives, it's because you've thrown away a beautiful experience without appreciating the beauty to be found. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but it's also found through senses other than sight. Experience the feel of diving, not just the vision. You'll be happier as a result.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom