When is bad vis a problem?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is only a problem if you make it one! It is like a "Lights out drill" in Cave diving a matter of training and self control! As a public safety diver I have been on many dives with "NO viz" and you use the feel method! Everyone who will dive bad viz should have blackout training so they don't panic! Try running into a body at 80ft with zero viz! That will get the heart pounding real quick!!!!!!

So the answer is it becomes a problem when YOU make it one!

Papa Bear - I agree that it's good to know that you won't panic in a zero-vis condition. We don't always know how we will react to different situations, and I will say that I was happy to learn that it didn't bother me, at least in terms of maintaining my self-control and remembering my training. I have been on dives that started out with decent vis, but dropped to zero at some point, due to something like finning up next to a reef with surge, or getting stuck behind a team of noobs who silted up the place. I never felt the slightest bit uncomfortable - I just calmly did what I had to do.

However, I guess for me, I just don't see the point in doing a zero-vis dive. I know others, though, who consider EVERY dive of value, even if all they do is skills-and-drills in a blackout. Not me...not anymore, anyway. I used to be more rabid about diving - as long as I was underwater, I was happy. These days it's just not worth it to me. No vis = let's go have breakfast instead!

Same thing with surf. I used to have a much higher tolerance for doing surf entries, and if I went to all the trouble to load up my gear and head to the beach, then I was going in unless the surf looked downright unmanageable. These days, if it's much above ankle-slappers, I'm outa there.

I was diving a quarry with a buddy I had dived with quite a few times.We decided to decend a line into a very large hole just to see what was there. After all the line must have went to something. At about 55 feet the lights went out. Even though I could feel my buddy's hand on the rope I could not see it or him. We hung there for a moment and then both ascended. It felt so good when we got to 5' of visibility. Never did know how far off the bottom we were. We both agreed later it was just creepy. I can see where it would be easy to freak out in a situation like this if something went wrong.

I think the thing that I disliked the most was not knowing what was around us. We were relatively safe from critters or monsters but the imagination just runs rampant. probably the greatest danger comes from not being able to see your buddy or yours or his equipment in case anything malfunctions. I realized later if you know you are entering an environment like this you and your buddy need to agree on a few basic touch signals so you can communicate.

The value in it is if I had not experienced it I would not have been able to write about it here on scubaboard.

Bad vis isn't so much an issue, but when you're not seeing much, it just doesn't make sense to keep diving (for the sake of adding a logged dive to your count or whatever).

Do you know people who do this??

It depends on what you like... I am still happy enough to do a dive just on sand :wink: I guess the novelty of just being in the water hasn't worn off yet. I've done a few very low viz and a few zero viz dives, and I found it really fascinating actually. The reason why I have commented on your post in particular is because I had a friend accuse me of doing low viz dives over winter locally just to 'add dives to my log'. :confused: He is one of those people that if he doesn't like it (he doesn't like bad viz, no critters and cold water), he expects that anyone else who says they enjoy it is lying.

I'm okay with zero viz in rivers and quarries and other bodies of water where I'm pretty sure there aren't any fish that will bump up against me. Zero to very low viz in Lake Travis creeps me out BIG TIME. It has nothing to do with not being able to see my gauges or my buddy but has everything to do with fish touching me. In the smaller training lakes around Houston, the fish are very small. For some reason even night diving in the vast ocean doesn't bother me in the least. Once I start cave training, I think I will handle it well because there aren't too many man-sized cave fish. LOL! Now that I'm thinking about it, I would much prefer to see a shark approaching in 10fsw than a catfish in the same visibility. Yeah, I've got issues.

Even if you know what your looking for and you find it, it is still a rush! :(

Yah, I guess I can imagine that :D

I've grown used to low vis diving in CO Lakes, but honestly, I'll take 100' vis in a minute. We recently did the Channel islands on a live aboard, and had some great vis, and some lower vis. Both sets of conditions define the dive to some degree, or at least the mood of the dive.

I don't mind low vis, and sometimes it adds atmosphere, but zero vis sucks, and anything under 5' IMO makes the dive less enjoyable. I've done plenty of sites in both 0~5 feet vis, and in 10~20ft. vis, and I'll take the better vis every time IF I had a choice.

Seeing well is a good thing! :D

Back
Top Bottom