When is a good time to take AOW course in Monterey in late Winter/early Sping?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

glsissi

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I am thinking of taking AOW course in Monterey in late Winter or early Spring (Feb - Apr). Can anybody tell me which month has better chance of getting calm water and good visibility?

Thanks in advance.

What's your definition of calm water and good visibility?
Good thing about the AOW, your instructor will be there to make sure you don't go in on a day that'll tumble you or will call the dive if it's not conducive to learning what you need to learn.
Visibility is going to be different from place to place and from day to day.
I say schedule it when it's convenient and get out diving!

The temperature will be colder in the spring. Since AOW requires a deep dive I would get it done while the water is warmer. Unless you are in a drysuit then it does not matter.

Vis right now is typically at it's clearest levels, and will deteriorate in the summer months.

Calm vs rough water is a gamble but the spring tends to be windier so often will be rougher, but winter has it's storms. For instance it was over 15' swells this week. The weekend is looking better though.

Thanks Peter_C and Pacificgal.

I know the winter time is the season for surfing, therefore I am afraid of the swells because I get sea sick very easy (even I take the dramamine). I would like to take the AOW w/ drysuit, but I don't know if I can do it, since I've never wear a drysuit before. I need to get the AOW done before May, because I am planning a diving trip that need AOW certificate, and I want to take the class in Monterey because it's harder.

Well two weeks ago it was Lake Pacific. It can be very calm in the winter as long as the swells are down.

I would not recommend going deeper than say 60 feet in a drysuit until you have completed at least 20 dives in one. Controlling buoyancy has a little bit more of a learning curve to it. A class or good mentor would be in order. Since AOW requires over 80 feet, you may not want to do it so soon in a drysuit.

Are you more of a cold water diver or warm water diver? Where do you plan on taking this wonderful trip to? Just curious...okay maybe a little jealous.

I am planning to go to Sipadan Malaysia.

As of now, I am a warm water diver. Besides my OW class and ab finish, all my ~15 dives were done in warm water. I am planning to take the Peak Performance Buoyancy, and Drift as the elective. Maybe Dry Suit or Underwater Photography (never done it before also, but want to do it in Sipadan).

Can't use Dry Suit for AOW class, that might be another issue for me on top of the sea sick :(. I get cold very easy too. I was using my 7/5 mil wetsuit in Key Largo over Thanksgiving holiday, and I was getting cold after 2nd dive. Man... this is going to be tough.

Why not get AOW certified while there?

Sounds like you need to get a drysuit and start diving local waters. Once in a drysuit and with the right undergarments along with an Otter Bay hood, you will be toasty warm and ready for some nice long dives. Our reefs out here, although different, are very spectacular. If you did some classes here like peak performance buoyancy and drysuit that would get you going towards the rest of your AOW too. If you have till May maybe you could get in 20 cold water dives and complete your AOW in Monterey? There are lots of people who need dive buddies for Monterey.

I don't want to use vacation days for class. Plus, everybody always said, if you get your certificate at Monterey, you can pretty much dive anywhere. Looks like I will just have to tough it out in wetsuit then.

Thank you very much Peter. I will keep my eye out for good weather day for winter then. Very conflicting, b/c I love the stormy weather for skiing :D.

lol, glsissi, I tough it out in a wetsuit in Monterey every weekend. You can do it!

Just noticed this thread, sorry for the late reply. My OW/AOW instructor has a "special advanced" AOW where he does Nitrox & Drysuit specialties with the AOW. He teaches out of a shop in South Bay. You didn't mention your location. I believe he is setting up another round of this class in March, but I could be mistaken. PM me if you want more info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom