When Icebergs Melt and Pieces Break Off, Sea Levels Rise?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

A lot of bickering and snark has been removed.

Even if the thread is in Non-Diving, remember the basic premise of the ToS: Be nice. Quite a few not-nice and off topic posts have been removed. If this escalates again, the thread will be permanently locked.

Unrelated to this thread, the OP has been banned, so there's no point in replying to him.

I believe that climate change is very real. In fact our planet is ever changing from ice ages that approached our equator to warm era that has resulted into iceless poles. However where I become skeptical is the man made "warming or induced" change. Worse for the fact that we think can control it as if it were some sort of climate control device that we utilize in our homes.

I think mankind has taken a stable (and mistaken) view that our major cities and settlements are going to last forever on these coasts where they were originally built. We see ancient Greek and and Egyptian sites now underwater. It may not be unreasonable to believe that New York, London, Miami, Amsterdam, Venice, Etc may face the same fate.

However I wholeheartedly agree that putting tons of carbon and other pollutants into our atmosphere is a bad idea, and far worse the polluting of our oceans and our drier environments is detrimental to our existence.

Staying to proven, scientific data, carbon dioxide is responsible of just 20% of the "greenhouse effect". Water vapor accounts for about 50 percent; and clouds account for 25 percent
The Carbon Cycle
Nevertheless, the MARGINAL effect of CO2 concentration increase is strongly correlated with the marginal temperature increment we are observing.
So, albeit on a global scale the thermal effect of human activities is not dominating the greenhouse effect, it is indeed explaining the anomalous temperature increase of the last few years.
It must also be said that great part of human CO2 production is almost unavoidable, it is a pro-capite production, coming from breathing, producing and eating food, warming our houses, fabricating our clothes, etc.. The only way of eliminating it would be eliminating the humans.
The AVOIDABLE fraction of CO2 production is just a small fraction of the total, and I also have severe doubts that we can really CONTROL this fraction, we mostly just SHIFT the CO2 production from here to there.
In conclusion my opinion is that global earth warming is a real issue, but it would be an illusion to think that with a cleaner and more environmentally sustainable personal behaviour we can avoid the problems. The global heating will continue, stronger and faster, and it is better to concentrate resources on how to manage the effects, than fighting a lost battle against CO2 production.

The AVOIDABLE fraction of CO2 production is just a small fraction of the total, and I also have severe doubts that we can really CONTROL this fraction, we mostly just SHIFT the CO2 production from here to there.

The bulk of man-made CO2 emissions is from fossil fuel use, so we certainly can control this by shifting to other means of power generation like nuclear. We probably won't, because many people misunderstand nuclear power, but it is technologically feasible.

It is actually not useful to think about the anthropogenic CO2 contribution as something small in absolute numbers. The ecosphere is a very delicate equilibrium. What we add brings the system out of balance, because it is adding up over long times. Think about a bathtub where 1 liter of water per second is flowing in, and 990ml per second is flowing out. It is a big bathtub, so not a problem for many seconds. But after days and weeks your house will be wet.

I was simply focusing on the mistake made by the living legend

Why are other “snarky” comments being removed, while the OP gets to post something like this, more than once?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom