When Good Divers (and boat Crews) Go Bad...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

offthewall1

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
So I just returned from a great week of diving with a great group of people, a great crew (in most aspects) and on a very nice liveaboard boat. I'm going to leave the vessel unnamed because this story is not meant to discredit them. It is meant as an educational tool for new divers, experienced divers and dive trip leaders.

Preface: This trip was not sponsored by our shop. It included 12 very experienced divers and 5 very experienced crew members, including a terrific (in my opinion)Captain.

On the second day of the trip I decided to sit a dive out. The other 11 travelers all went diving. I happened to notice that the entire crew was absent from the deck and there was no one on "look Out" for a surfaced or distressed diver. They (the crew)were all in the salon. I had a strange feeling at that moment that something was amiss... so I walked around the boat peering out into the sea and saw nothing. Eventually a couple members of the crew returned to deck and all the divers made it back onboard safely... no worries I suppose.

The next day all 12 of us entered the water for a morning dive. The current was fairly strong and it was a struggle to make it forward to the anchor line to descend. I made it as did my buddy and went about my dive. After about 40 minutes it was time to ascend so I returned to the anchor line. I arrived to find one of my fellow travelers holding onto the line and looking around. I noticed his buddy was not with him and asked him where his buddy was. He shrugged the "I don't know" shrug. Being experienced and havinf replayed my dive in my head... I realized his buddy was the only person I had not seen the entire dive. Instantly I knew we had a lost diver. I signaled to my buddy that I was blowing my safety stop (an educated calculation based on my computer) to alert the crew of the situation. I signaled for my buddy to stay put, look around for his lost buddy and stay with him near the line.

I reached the surface and yelled up to the crew inquiring as to whether the missing diver was onboard. They replied "no." I told them the diver was missing and the divers buddy was below on the hangline. They immediately started scanning the surface and notified me that they had "something" in sight off in the distance and that it "may be" the missing diver. A few moments later after pulling out binoculars, I was relieved to learn it was in fact the missing diver and the skiff was enroute to pick them up.

The diver had originally surfaced within about 50 yards of the boat and should have easily been visable to an attentive crew. The diver later stated they had been signalling the boat for about 8-10 minutes as the current carried them further and further away. The diver also stated that they did not see any crew the entire time and that the current was too strong to swim against. Had I surfaced just a minute or two later the diver may have been completely out of view.

What went wrong? First the diver lost site of their buddy on initial descent. Both of them experienced divers ignored the lost buddy rule of look for your buddy for 1 minute then surface. While one buddy drifted away in a strong current, the other buddy went ahead with the dive figuring they'd find their buddy down there somewhere. An inattentive crew did not see a diver surfaced within close proximity to the boat. To make matters worse, the lost diver could not manage to properly inflate the safety sausage and it kept deflating (for an unknown reason.)

Lessons Learned: I learned that if I notice something not right I should not be shy about raising a red flag right from the get go. This crew was professional in all aspects and I was surprised by their inattentiveness to safety details. Later they admitted that our group had so much experience and had done so well on previous dives in similar conditions that they "just slipped on their level of concern." Divers no matter how experienced should not deviate from diving basics such as the lost buddy drill. Do a 360 for 1 minute then surface. Had this occurred the buddies would have been reunited at the surface and the dive could have been continued or aborted. Be familiar with all of your equipment - including how to inflate and maintain a safety sausage.

Thanks for reading... I hope this post has been informative.

Alls well that ends well...

This question is by no means meant to point to any action or lack of action, but after your sitting out a dive and noticing that no crew were topside. did you ask about this with the captain or crew?

Just thought I'd ask.

I think this would be more beneficial in the Close Calls forum where it will remain noticeable longer. A good example with lessons to be learned, TY! :thumb:

I don't guess the drifting diver had a Dive Alert Whistle? They're not basic scuba gear but at the new lower price of $40, I think they're a great idea for anyone. I paid more for mine years ago. Any good shop will match the price I think: http://www.leisurepro.com/prod/AQUDA1.html?ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=AQUDA1 Some models for some BCs will be extra.

Got a question...?
On the second day of the trip I decided to sit a dive out. The other 11 travelers all went diving. I happened to notice that the entire crew was absent from the deck and there was no one on "look Out" for a surfaced or distressed diver. They (the crew)were all in the salon. I had a strange feeling at that moment that something was amiss... so I walked around the boat peering out into the sea and saw nothing. Eventually a couple members of the crew returned to deck and all the divers made it back onboard safely... no worries I suppose.
Why did you not question the captain at that point? Sounds like a serious breach of safety protocol to me.

I went out with one of the tightest boats on US waters last year, current was strong but a great support crew - except for one omission, which I mentioned to the skipper within minutes. Nothing more was said, no more problem, and I think I did right, IMO anyway.

Glad all made it back safely despite what could have been a really bad situation...

Also would like to know the answser to Don's question: Why did you not question the captain at that point? Sounds like a serious breach of safety protocol to me.

One of the things we're taught in "Unified Team Diving" is that your team may involve more people than the ones who are in the water with you. It involves the captain of your boat, the crew of your boat, the safety divers (if any). If you don't have complete confidence in those people, your team has a weak link.

I have to admit that I've done live boat dives off Puget Sound charter boats where I had no idea how many people were watching for divers, and when. Having run my own boat when divers were in the water, I can say that you can't reasonably maintain total vigilance for an hour by yourself. I tried to watch closely for the first ten or fifteen minutes, when I figured most early problems would declare themselves, and starting about 15 minutes before I expected the team to come up. But if someone had had a bad problem in mid-dive, they would have had to do something visible or noisy to get my attention at that time.

This question is by no means meant to point to any action or lack of action, but after your sitting out a dive and noticing that no crew were topside. did you ask about this with the captain or crew?

Just thought I'd ask.

Right or wrong I didn't really feel it was my place (at that initial moment) to question this crew. Over the years (lots of liveaboards - thousands of dives,) I have learned that things are not always what they appear to be.

By this I mean It was not a trip I sponsored, it was not a trip I was leading and I was there simply as a diver. I do of course question my decision but let me finish answering the question at hand.

It was understood that this was a chartered boat... and that while the crew would assist us "as needed" they were not putting DM's in the water to lead dives. They would assist us in and out of the water (at the ladder etc...)

While safety would seem to dictate providing a look-out... since I was just a passenger on the boat I did not know if this had been included in the price of the charter between the dive leader and the Charter Operator. I assumed it was... but had never asked.

I had addressed my concern with the trip leader and whether he had taken any follow up action I do not know and never did ask. Another mistake I may have made was assuming he would do so. Being an experienced diver, an Instructor, one with thousands of dives and being SOLO certified as an Instructor... I really never feel concerned about what boat crews are doing (as a paying customer.)

My attitude changes completely when I'm sponsoring a trip, leading a trip or overseeing students. I want to know if a fly is onboard and who's dinner he's sitting on so I can have it corrected.

The lesson learned most here is that no matter how experienced (or inexperienced) one may be, if they see something that isn't right... don't be afraid to say something... even if you don't think it's your place. I'm not ashamed to say I missed an opportunity to make a bigger stink about it (the lack of safety) then I did.

To answer the question as to why I still believe the crew to be professional...
1. They immediately corrected their approach after the problem dive.
2. They entire trip they were professional in their briefings, all other duties, seamanship, dinner services, laundry and bedding services, gear handling including proper fills and mixes of nitrox etc... etc...
3. They were by far the friendliest (best personalities) of any liveaboard I've dove in the past 5 years.

Yes they missed a little (and almost more than a little,) but I can't take away 6 days of 99% perfection for 1 error. Perhaps I'd feel differently had we had to call in the coast guard to hunt for the missing diver... but that didn't happen.

While they were inattentive... it was a couple of very experienced divers failing to follow basic diving principals that put the crew in the position to be exposed. To dive a 40 minute dive never seeing your buddy... and failing to surface immediately in a current when you don't see your buddy is a fairly major problem. Diving with 10 other people in the water around you and never telling anyone or asking anyone if they've seen your buddy for 40 minutes... that is a major problem.

I'm thankful I blew my safety stop to alert the crew when I did... it allows me to sleep just a little better knowing I didn't make a bigger stink to start with.

I didn't post this to raise questions... I posted it to educate on the mistakes all involved made... and to hopefully keep others from making the same assumptions and decisions made by the divers and crew involved.

Thanks for the report. This is one more reason to have a whistle/noise maker along with the SMB.

When, where and how you dive is always a personal choice.

We once did a dive around the Coronados Islands (out of San Diego) on a day boat. The captain approached my wife and I and another couple on board and apologized that the other 12 divers onboard were students and that if we followed their dive plan we'd be board to death.

He told us that if we wanted too, we could do a drift dive. He'd have us all (the 4 of us) roll off the boat while it was moving and we could drift along the island until we reached a big rock sticking out. If we turned the corner after the rock, the boat would be there with the students who would be doing their checkout dives there in the cove.

This was our first time in San Diego... didn't know this island, didn't know the Captain but we decided to go for it because "we were experienced." The dive went fine and it was beautiful... kelp, Giribaldi and playful Sea Lions.

There were no lookouts if we had a problem... we were on our own... hell the boat was completely out of our site... we were obviously in a current because we were drifting... and had we somehow missed the big rock... and blew right past the islands edge... we'd have been in blue water.

This is what diving is all about. With hindsight being 20/20, I still question that decision to this day. A newer diver making such a decision would be (in my opinion) pure insanity.

The question is how do you get to be experienced without having experiences. Consider each dive individually. Are you ready for it? How deep? Is there current. Who's your buddy? Whats the plan? Who's your look-out etc...

Every dive you make is a serious decision... be it 20 feet in the local quarry or 100 feet down in the blue ocean without land in sight.

Dive smart... dive safe... know yourself, know your buddy and know what's going on around you. If in doubt or you don't feel right... don't do the dive. It's really that simple. It's impossible to have a bad dive if you don't get in the water.

Last edited:
I'm glad you blew your SS and alerted the crew as soon as you did too as it sounded like just in time to avoid a full search. I might not agree with the divers/buddy team conduct either, but given the degrees of experienced you described - I don't feel qualified to second guess their actions as described.
Right or wrong I didn't really feel it was my place (at that initial moment) to question this crew. Over the years (lots of liveaboards - thousands of dives,) I have learned that things are not always what they appear to be.
Okay, I'll stipulate that you're an expert and I'm a tourist; no argument there at all. Nonetheless I see the crew momentary safety protocol breach as a serious mistake. I hope I'd avoid confrontation with the crew but I would not be shy about asking the skipper about his protocols for the situation. I imagine I'd do more than ask, but at least that - and hope that any other diver along would do the same for my missing body - at least have a crew member on deck outside to listen for my whistle. We have many lost & drifting diver threads in Accidents forum that started with not noticing the divers close by before they drifted away.
I didn't post this to raise questions... I posted it to educate on the mistakes all involved made... and to hopefully keep others from making the same assumptions and decisions made by the divers and crew involved.
Welp, welcome to Scubaboard. I have a blog that I can close to comments, but we discuss and question here. Sorry if you don't care for mine. :eyebrow:

This hits close to home, having recently been on a liveaboard where a crazy strong current erupted middive when and where it "shouldn't have" and no one could make it back to the boat. I'm glad the crew was on the ball as it would have been a huge CF otherwise.

There's a big conflict in this statement - "This crew was professional in all aspects and I was surprised by their inattentiveness to safety details." It seems to me that not watching while divers are down would be against the protocol on pretty much any decent liveaboard? Yes divers should be responsible for having the proper safety equipment and not screwing up, but it's still a big mistake by the crew. (It's a different situation than a private boat or some other small boats, or other times you know you're on your own and are ok with that.)

AFAIK I've never been on a nice liveaboard that didn't have someone watching on deck the whole dive. (Judging by when I sit out a dive or come up at an odd time.) Currents happen. Stuff happens. I can sort of understand how they could get complacent someplace where things are always calm with a load of experienced divers, but that's not really a good excuse.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom