When does Dutch Springs get warm enough for "Wet" diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ClassAction

Reaction score
When do people normally start diving dutch in the spring with wetsuits? Can't wait to get into the freezing cold water! Thanks!

around mid may... but the thermoclines will hit you like a brick wall if you go deeper then about 30'-40'. And the thermoclines never go away... in late august they are still there, but as the summer goes along they get deeper and not as dramaic. in the spring there can be as much as a 30 (70's-40's) degree difference between the surface and the deep spots by the pump station. by the end of the summer that difference is normally down to 10 or 15 degrees.
I guess it all depends on how cold you are willing to dive in....

Dutch surface water can be in the low fifties as early as April. The weather determines everthing. I use to do farmer john dives in April and I could stay down for 30 to 40 minutes if I did multilevel diving (back to the warmer surface water). The bottom temp at 80-100 feet is always 40-44 degrees. The bottom around the cove is actually a bit warmer than the other places where the thermoclines merge. Right now the surface temperature is about 37-39 degrees. It is the same down to at least 80 feet.

Fifty degree temps is where most people draw the line with wetsuits

The coldest I've dove at dutch wet is 38*F at 83 feet. Mine and my buddies face & lips were nearly glowing blue! I now dive dry, YAY.

A couple I work with did their original ice diving cert WET!!! (They are my heros... hehehe). So, I guess technically you can dive ANYTIME!! As for blue lips, I just got those little lip shields (they automatically come on the aqualung cold water regs) to add to my reg.... they look kinda funny but I'm hoping they help a little.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom