When do you call off a dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any diver may call a dive at any time for any reason and that reason need not be given. Having said that if everyone was ok with proceeding including you there was no problem. Looking each one in the eye and getting their ok was good procedure. And what's wrong with only being able to see fin tips? Low vis dives are fun and great learning experiences! It may have been limited but you don't need to see the hairs on their chins man! As far as chop a little is not bad if it were 10 or 12 foot waves that's different. if you could see fin tips and bottom who needs lights. You stated at the beginning it was enjoyable and typical conditions. Everybody came back and nobody punched you out for going ahead with the dive. Don't worry about comments from those with limited experience or what seems to be by the book answers. Go with your comfort level and leave it at that.

Gary D.:
There is NO reason to be embarassed for calling a dive. Nobody should ever put someone in an embarassing position for calling one.

But you are right and it happens, both the Embarassing and the Embalming.

Gary D.

Very true, there is no reason to feel emabarrassed, but I hear it all the time.

JimLap:
Everybody came back and nobody punched you out for going ahead with the dive.

if anyone came back and wanted to swing some fists, then that diver should have aborted the dive a long time ago.

Gary D.:
YOU call a dive any time YOU want.

ya... if you're thinking about calling the dive, it's probably a good indication
that you should

a diver can call a dive for any reason or no reason at all

if someone gives you grief over it, never dive with them again

Based on the description, I probably would have gone on with the dive.

If someone was looking antsy, it would be a different story.

Thank you all for your comments. I thought I was using good judgment at the time, and, while I can see some learning points, that is not at all unusual. It happens to me almost every time I dive. It all turned out well, and everyone was all smiles back on the boat. At the end of the day, the biggest lesson for me is to resist being adopted as a substitute divemaster, especially for a group I didn't really know, and especially under conditions where I cannot keep visual contact with everyone.

rried:
We did a couple of boat dives yesterday. One was to the Ruby E....sort of typical conditions, and very enjoyable. The other was at three fingers off Pt. Loma in the kelp. Temp. at depth was 52, surge was rolling pretty good and the viz. ranged from one to two feet. I had agreed to lead my buddy, who was recently certified, and two other guys we met on the boat who were visiting from Germany. Our plan was to decend together, after which I would lead/navigate a square ending up back at the anchor. We decended feet first and hit something hard. Turned out to be the bottom. Couldn't see it. Couldn't see my guages without using my light. I was tempted to grab everyone and suggest surfacing, but figured it would be an interesting navigation exercise.

Better planning might have been the key. Always a good idea to have a light with you..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom