When do I start to enjoy what I'm learning??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Remember snorkle is cheap like I said to practice mouth breathing. Heck put on your mask at hom with snorkle and breath out of it. Sounds crazy but then again IT IS :D

Okay so I took and passed final and yes that's a big deal to get that off of my "to-do". I'm just one of those people who forget everything they've ever learned when a "test" or "quiz" is presented to me. If I had to take a test on the job I have today, which I've done for 15+ years I'm not so sure that I would pass, but I'm considered to be knowledgeable about what we do and how we do it by my peers.

I got into the pool with the Dive Instructor and a Dive Master last night and spoke to them about my concerns and frustrations. I went through the things that I felt like I was having difficulty with and got to spend time working on what I wanted to do not what was planned per se. Having the DM be able to work with me one on one was huge and she was/is a nose breather and has experienced filling her nostrils with clorinated water just like me. As a matter of fact on a no mask swim last night we both managed to do it at almost the same time. Having someone in the pool with me who has similar challenges and has overcome them was a big help.

One of the issues I had been having with my last two dives was my mask constantly flooding. We checked my clearing techinique and although far from perfect it was rated as pretty darn good. We also checked the fit again and the straps and I was still having issues. So the DM tried my mask (which has prescription lenses in it) and she was having the same issues. We went back under the water and she watched where/how my mask was flooding and we found that when they put the prescription lenses in they cracked the frame of the mask and water was coming in there. Everytime I tried to take air out of the mask I was forcing water back in (not sure if I'm saying that correctly) and actually making the lens looser as the night went on. They have the mask today and will return it to the people who fitted the lenses in the mask for replacement.

So that pretty much leads to not being able to use my mask all night and having the time to just hang out and do what I really felt like I needed to do. I swam around the pool with no mask for quite a bit of time, I still don't like the feeling when the water gets into my nose but I think with time I can get over that. I did a BCD and weight belt removal in the shallow end because I had no mask and chose not to use a spare mask with no corrective lenses, I did the tired diver tow, BCD assemble/disassemble so many times I can now do it in my sleep.

I have another pool dive scheduled for 2/24 and I'll see what happens then. After that, the dive center has four or five more pool sessions scheduled between then and the time I want to take my check-out dive. Both the DI and the DM will be there on the 24th, as well so if I run into more issues they know what to look for. The BF got another gold star for his performance in class last night, so he owes me a dinner for my aggrevation.

Going to the Caymans in May. I'd really like to try to get my check out dive done by then so I don't have to worry about it on vacation. If I don't, and I agree warm water would be much nicer to do this in, I have a dive center at my resort and I'll contact them before I leave to set something up.

Getting on this forum and finding that there was a leak in my mask were two huge helps this week. I also think that, (although I love him to pieces) getting away from the significant other while in the pool was a help as well. I didn't feel like I was constantly holding up his progress while stumbling over every task. Also he now sort of "gets it" that I'm not as good at this as he is and he's just going to have to be patient (which he's soooo not).

Nah, quit now and find a different hobby. :wink: But seriously, relax take a deep breath and forget about skills for a minute. Get some one on one time with the instructor to just sit, lay down, or whatever in the water and experience the sensation of breathing compressed air underwater. Take the mask off and close your eyes so that your face is exposed. Again don't worry about the skill of putting it back on, just relax and get used to mouth breathing underwater. Skills will come in due time, right now you just need to feel comfortable in the foreign environment.

Fivedogsrule, that's a great update! And I have a wonderful piece of news for you -- NO water you are ever going to dive in is as corrosive to the nose as a public, chorinated swimming pool is. In fact, ocean water isn't bad at all, on the nose or the eyes (although it can be darned cold). If you can swim around for an entire evening in the pool without a mask, I think your nose-breathing issues sound pretty solved!

I'm glad your instructors gave you the space and time to get comfortable. This is one of the big problems with a lot of classes . . . the schedule is tight, and people are pushed to get through things before they've had a chance to process them the way they need to, to feel confident. Thing sound so much better now.

And don't allow yourself to feel you are holding your BF back. If he's the more natural diver, he HAS to be patient with you. And if he's not -- find somebody else to dive with! As I think I may have mentioned, I didn't dive with my husband for almost six months after we got certified (except during travel, when I had to, and that led to quarrels). He wouldn't respect my nervousness and I couldn't cope with his behavior, so it was better for us to dive with different partners. Over time, I got better and he accepted some constraints, and nowadays, we dive together just fine -- but it was an evolution. And you have to believe that you have the right to insist on diving in a way that makes YOU comfortable.

Fivedogsrule, as pointed out above, don't let the BF pressure you too much. The point is to enjoy diving.

My wife and I were definitely like you two. She suggested the whole scuba thing. I hemmed and hawed. After all it is scuba...how much fun can it be? It is not like running the Upper Falls on the Potomac, or the Cheat River. It is not like your first lead on Dusty's Pop Off when you are hanging there like Sylvester Stalone on Cliffhanger with the ground 600ft below you.

It was better! I sold my kayaks and my climbing gear to fund SCUBA. I was the natural and she struggled.

She got through it and we went to Eleuthra and got one day of diving in. That was it. That was the hook. We got home and booked a live-a-board.

Here is what we've figured out. She is a warm, clear water diver and that is fine. She is not into cold dark quarries or shipwrecks in the Atlantic. She is into fish where you don't need a wetsuit.

So now when she goes we're diving for her enjoyment and that makes me happy. It is her dive. She still has less than 40 dives in her log. If I had to guess, I'm probably knocking on my 400th.

You'll find what you enjoy and hopefully that will be inline with your BF. If not, don't stress. Dive for yourself.

Masks. Nothing is more miserable than and improper fitting mask. Tip 1, you can dive with contacts. You don't need prescription lenses in a mask. Do you use contacts?

I have tried dozens and dozens of masks. Right now I have a Dive Rite frameless that is my preferred go to mask and my second is my Aqualung MicroMask. I'm always on the quest to find more masks that fit me well.

Once you find your mask, then look at getting prescription lenses in them.

You'll find the reason to dive yourself and that reason can't be for someone else.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Sorry...it was a double post again...

Last edited:
Glad to hear you passed your test. Just keep practicing until your comfortable. I'd suggest you create a new post looking for advice on dive shops in the area of your resort, I'm sure someone here can recommend a good diveop that does not send out cattle boats with tons of people on board, but can offer you some more personal service and can help you along with you first dives, even if your certified before you go. I'm sure its not always the case, but I've never felt comfortable with the diveops in the resorts I've stayed at in Mexico.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom