When do I start to enjoy what I'm learning??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fivedogsrule

Reaction score
I know you all see this same post over and over, but I have to jump into this pool (not OW certi yet so it's the best I can do). Getting ready for my second night of pool diving and I'm just feeling ready to give up. I can't remember anything that I've learned in the book, haven't even dared to try the final yet, last time I dove in the pool EVERYONE was getting all of the tasks the first time and I barely got anything. I'm a nose breather so putting my face in the water and breathing for 30 seconds was TORTURE..took me three days to get all of the clorine out of my sinuses. Mask fogged the entire time, never felt like it fit (because I kept breathing out through my nose and breaking the seal) never managed to get neutrally bouyant, BCD always felt like it was floating up on me, blah blah blah. And I'm not even going to go into using a compass!

I thought this was a good idea when the BF suggested it but now I'm totally re-thinking everything. Oh and did I tell you that I get to get my certification dives done in the north Atlantic ocean in April if I want to dive on my May vacation!! Just one more thing to not look forward to.

Have had nightmares three nights in a row about having to go into the pool again. I've come along way, the Discover Scuba was 30 minutes of hyper-ventalating (SP?) followed by 20 minutes of fun. My sense of humor is about all that I can afford to have left and that is leaving quickly. Suggestions?

Quick Answer: You will enjoy it when you enjoy it.

Only you can controll a lot of those things you are talking about.
Relax is a big part of it. The pool class is there so you can relax and not have to worry, worst case scenario is you stand up.

Since your in a pool and not having to equalize your mask maybe try just pinching your nose while breathing.

Also if your bcd is up around your neck you probably have not had it fitted right.

As for bouyancy, lay on the bottom of the pool and add a bit of air to your bcd.
Take a deep breath and hold for a second... Did you start to rise?
If not add a bit more and try again.
Once you start to rise add a bit more air into your bcd.
You want to be able to breath in and hold it for a second and have your torso lift off the pool floor, then when you exhale you sink back to the bottom.

After you have this your almost there, the goal is to take a breath rise up a bit then let it out and breath normal... you should be close to staying at the same spot.
If yoru are sinking more even though you are inhale and exhaling at the same rate and force then add a bit to yoru bcd. If you are floating up take some air out.

You yourself said you have come along way but it sounds like you have a bit more to come. Is it worth it to you? I think you can do it.

Remember Diving isnt for everybody, just like any activity.

Also remember its very cheap to go to a pool and use a snorkle to practice your mouth breathing / skin diving.

Ram

First, relax. Remember, you are there to have fun, not conquer the world or land on the moon. It's not a competition. There's a bunch of us who have been diving for decades that would be nervous about having to pass a test. Probably could, but that doesn't remove the anxiety. Remember how you felt when learning to drive? Now it's probably second nature. Scuba will be the same way if you practice enough. All of our survival instincts tell us to be extremely cautious (maybe frightened) while under water. Familiarity and confidence will chase away the anxiety.
A properly fitting mast is essential. That being said, I regularly exhale from my nose while diving to prevent mask squeeze. You're ok there. When the mask is off, look downward to form an air bubble in your nostrils and you'll begin breathing through you mouth more easily without sucking in water. All in all, you can do this if you want to. Scuba may not be your thing, but if you can give it some time I believe you will come to love it. Good luck.

fivedogsrule, read the journal of my open water class that I link to in my sig line.

Some people are naturals at diving, and some of us emphatically are NOT. Like you, I got frustrated and discouraged watching everybody else in the class swimming gracefully around while I floundered. And my OW dives were in very cold water where you could see your hand in front of your face, and not much more (and I hadn't wanted to do them there in the first place).

That was about 500 or so dives in Puget Sound ago . . .

Diving, I found, was a lot like skiing (at which I was also not a natural). It took a fair bit of work to master the required skills, but once I did, the activity was wonderful.

There are solutions for nose breathing and mask fogging . . . do some searching in the New Divers forum, and you will come up with some wonderful posts by people like Walter and Diver0001 and others. If you WANT to do this, all your problems can be solved by some specific exercises and the application of some time. Talk to your instructor -- you will not be the first student he has seen with these issues (they are common) and he should understand if you need to go a bit more slowly, or do an extra pool session (although you may have to pay for it).

Diving is worth it, if it is something YOU want to do.

As Gary and Ram said: relax - it's a hobby, not a punishment. Don't rush things. Select gear that fits you well; you shouldn't have to fight with your mask or BCD. If you don't want to dive in the Atlantic, consider a referral for your checkout dives and do them on the first few days of your holiday.

Hey all, thanks for the help. I've looked through the forums at lunchtime today and saw that nose breathing and frustration is pretty common. I'm still at the point where I can't even imagine having all of this come together and making sense. I've always planned on taking additional classes to get as much pool time as I can, I really need a night to (sounds silly) just sit at the bottom of the pool and breath and learn to relax.

For all you instructors out there, I think classes should be split into nose and mouth breathers with the nose breathers having extra pool time and ice cream after each dive.

Tonight I try to take the final...:shakehead:

I really need a night to (sounds silly) just sit at the bottom of the pool and breath and learn to relax.

For all you instructors out there, I think classes should be split into nose and mouth breathers with the nose breathers having extra pool time and ice cream after each dive.

We kinda have a deal where we do what's required to get you done. If you need to sit on the bottom for a couple hours - we will actually let you do exactly that for a reasonable/nominal fee to cover the required supervision. I've actually used that approach before, and it rarely takes hours. Generally people just need time to get beyond the out of body experience, and come back to the present. Once you begin to feel "safe", and remember to do things like kick when you swim, and blink once or twice a minute - it's time to continue with the skills. Before you know it you'll be at the head of the class.

fivedogsrule, relax about your "final." The point of the test is not to give you a score like your back in school, but to make sure you can perform the skills that will help keep you safe underwater.

I think your attitude about spending more time in the pool is perfect, get comfortable where it is safe and WARM before doing your open water in the cold Atlantic. I wouldn't worry about not getting everything on the first try. I picked up buoyancy control relatively quickly (although I still have a long way to go), but I had to spend extra time in the pool with both my dad and my wife to help them, once it clicks then you've got it. Do as the previous poster (ramasule) suggested. What helped me is think of your bc as compensating for your lead. The bc does the macro adjustments and your lungs to the micro adjustments. Need to go up a little, take a bigger breath and hold it a little longer, need to go down, exhale fully and wait a brief moment before inhaling again (just don't "hold" your breath or "stop" breathing). For more than micro adjustments add or subtract a little air from your bc.

Also, don't stress about doing your open water before your vacation. If you feel ready, go for it, if you don't do a referral on your vacation. The warm water (I'm guessing) on your vacation will make it much easier to concentrate on your skills. You will have less equipment (thinner exposure suit & less weight for sure) and won't be bothered by the cold water. As far as the nose breathing, what about getting a mask with a nose purge? Maybe some of the more experienced divers can chime in here, but that should help with the exhaling breaking the mask seal. The key is just get comfortable breathing under water.

Oh, and I think the BF should be the one supplying the ice cream :D

Oh, and you'll start to enjoy the diving when you go on vacation and see the clear water with all the interesting life down there. Just make sure you are comfortable with how you can perform your skills so you can have fun and be safe!

Hey all, thanks for the help. I've looked through the forums at lunchtime today and saw that nose breathing and frustration is pretty common. I'm still at the point where I can't even imagine having all of this come together and making sense. I've always planned on taking additional classes to get as much pool time as I can, I really need a night to (sounds silly) just sit at the bottom of the pool and breath and learn to relax.

Tonight I try to take the final...:shakehead:

How much pool time have you had? I do allow my students to just submerge and breath for the first 10-15 minutes laying flat on the bottom in 4ft of water. I would not allow you to sit. Too awkward a position with all that unfamiliar weight on your back.

I do 6-8, 2 hour pool sessions and an equal number of classroom. You have time to absorb and really learn the material through my lectures, some self study, and actively participating in class. I also have no problem and do schedule private sessions just to get you comfortable with a particular skill. Mask being the most common one I do this for and there is no extra charge.

Don't do ice cream but will give you a coupon for a free italian ice or discount on a pizza!

I do hope you are not rushing through 3 or 4 pool sessions and a couple classrooms while essentially teaching your self through self study. That seems to work for some people but for many it does not. And it's very clear when they get to OW if it isn't. Diving is not for everyone and for some it may be but only with extra patience and attention during initial training. If they don't get that it can be very unpleasant as it seems to be for you.

You need to ask yourself if this is something you really want to do. If it is then you need to decide what you need to do in order to more than just get through it. You may not know at this point. If you were my student I'd want you to sit down and honestly tell me what was going on. Then we would work out a program for you. We'd then start that and see where you were in say 2 weeks, then re-evaluate and continue or maybe choose another option.

Back
Top Bottom