When can I start using my camera? (New Diver Here)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That you are even asking about this subject is a great start! As mentioned before taking a camera down you should have mastery over some basic skills: being able to hover in place without using hands or having one on your BC inflator, be able to back kick, frog kick, and flat spin. A few rules we follow that are accepted by many divers/photogs.

1. Do not manipulate living subjects to capture a “better” image.
2. Do not manipulate the environment in which the subjects live.
3. Let professional dive guides know that you appreciate them finding subjects, but do not expect them to manipulate them.
4. Place no more than one finger on a dead part of the reef.
5. Be aware of the configuration of your imaging equipment as you move closer to your subject or reef to avoid contact.
6. Try to avoid laying or kneeling on the bottom. Tiny, delicate creatures often live in these areas.
7. If you find a subject, it is “yours” to capture images of as long as you like. Point it out to others when you are done.
8. If another photographer/diver finds a subject you are interested in, do not “rush” them. Stay out of the frame. Wait until they are done with the subject or invite you to take over.
9. If the guide finds the subject, prepare your camera prior to moving in to take an image. Take a few images in quick order. Leave the scene without disturbing the subject or environment, so others can enjoy it. If you want to try again, get in the back of the line, if others are waiting.
10. Respect other people’s equipment. Try not to put your rig on top of others in the rinse tank. Remove your gear as soon as possible. Be aware of housings that are open and don’t drip on them.

Enjoy!

The question of when you're ready to take a camera is less about skills than it is about awareness ... at least from a personal safety perspective. New divers get task-loaded easily, and task loading tends to make you lose focus on things you should be focusing on ... like where your buddy is and how much air you have. Buoyancy control is certainly important ... but only in part for environmental reasons. The bigger reason is because for a new diver, buoyancy control takes some amount of concentration ... and you only have so much concentration to go around, so the more you apply to your camera, the less you have to work on improving your skills.

For these reasons, my answer to your question is that you're ready to start using your camera when you have trained yourself to ...

1. ... check your air frequently without having to consciously think about it
2. ... look around regularly to see where your buddy is
3. ... maintain your buoyancy while you're doing something else (practice by taking compass headings while hovering ... when you can do that comfortably, buoyancy control with a camera will be just a little bit harder)

Safety, buddy, environment, pictures ... those are the correct order of your priorities ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I think I am going to leave the camera on the boat for most dives. I really want to be a good diver. I like watching the guys on youtube giving tutorials and maintaining perfect trim and bouyancy. I think I will focus on that.

If I see something cool, I'll just remember it and look up a picture on the internet later to show my family what I saw. I am also an artist/designer so I could draw a picture later from memory too.

Thanks for the tips.

mjh, great post.
I recently dove Bora Bora and Moorea.
I've only been down a few times and had a guide.
I made sure it was OK with the guide to bring a P&S camera, and things went well.
I was as paranoid as I could be about coming in contact with anything, making sure I kept my distance with great care.
I only took shots when the opportunity to do so was safe.
It was a blast, and I got great shots and video, including some shots that he took of me and my family, especially with Black tips following behind us, and some with clown fish/anemone in the foreground.

If only all divers were as thoughtful.

Good decision!

You know, I used to fall into the camp that said, "Don't take a camera underwater until you have polished your skills." That was until I watched two AOW students do their "Underwater Photography" dive. First off, the joy and excitement in their faces when they came back with images of what they saw diving was just pure fun for me and Peter (the instructor). Second, it was a humbling lesson in the need for control in the water column -- you simply can't get really good pictures unless you can be still and stay where you want to be. Both students came up highly motivated to keep working on their diving, in order to be better photographers!

But as Bob says, the big thing is safety. If your bandwidth is challenged with maintaining depth, monitoring your buddy, and keeping track of your gas, adding a camera to the equation is not a good idea. So I think you should take your camera into the quarry and play with it. See what composing and taking photographs does to your awareness and your buoyancy control. If you have the right attitude (which is, as Bob says, to put the photograph at the lowest priority) and you clearly do, the camera will make a nice educational tool in how well you are learning to manage yourself in the water.

Carry it with you in the water. You don't have to use it, but if you find that "once in a lifetime" moment, you'll wish you'd had it.

Hi,

On land I shoot photos. You can see some at deglossed.com

I just got certified and did my first dives without an instructor (just a buddy) yesterday.

Unlike the folks in the starwars storm trooper video I just saw in this forum I am concerned with my trim and learnign low silting techniques. My OW and other divers are in a local quarry where silt can be an issue in the already low visibility.

I want to take my camera so I can show my wife and family what I see. I know I shouldn't be taking it right now because I need to work on my skills.

When can I take it?

I am going to the carribean next month. I will be doing 10 dives. I was thinking of not taking the camera on the first 3-4 dives. Then maybe carry it on the next dives but keep it clipped to my lower right d-ring until I feel comfortable enough to use it.

What do you think?

Please note I am a beginner, but I am trying to learn. I am hear to learn.

You're wise to consider you diving skills and the task loading that comes along with using a camera UW. My best recommendation is to immediately have the camera shipped to the Hotel Cozumel to my attention. I will ensure the proper functionality of the equipment while you gain 20 or 30 experience dives. I can ship the camera back to you in early August.

Hope that helps.

You're wise to consider you diving skills and the task loading that comes along with using a camera UW. My best recommendation is to immediately have the camera shipped to the Hotel Cozumel to my attention. I will ensure the proper functionality of the equipment while you gain 20 or 30 experience dives. I can ship the camera back to you in early August.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the offer. Can I also send you my scuba pro nighthawk bc and Cressi mc9 regulator to test?
I don't have money for the shipment. Please send me a check for $10,000 as this is the only amount I can deposit at my bank and I will send you the difference. You can trust me I used to work for the king of Nigeria.

Top bloke that king- I donated when he made the Kony2012 campaign.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom