When a day goes to the dog...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverbrian

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Earlier this week, a co-worker found me and asked about my diving.

It seems that his 12 year old Mexican hairless had wandered off last weekend. He has a small pond (about 100 ft. by 75 ft. and 8 ft. deep) where he has fish. He uses an aerator for that reason that leaves a hole in the ice at the approximate center of the pond.

He had tracked his dogs footprints to the edge of that hole with no set leaving. He asked if I would take a look under the ice. Seeing that I am writing this, you can guess my answer.

I showed up this Saturday with doubles and fully rigged out for diving an overhead environment. I was greeted by his sons (about eight years old and ten years old) and proceeded to gear up. The ice was thick enough to support me in doubles, which means that it wasn't going to break anytime soon.

Let me just say that I was torn. Do I want to actually find and recover a deceased member of this family or do I hope that he didn't go in and will turn up elsewhere? Anyways, I went in with a wreck reel clipped to his deck. I quickly discovered that his pond gets real dark. I searched the bottom anticipating that I would lose vis from simply moving around in this shallow of water in a silty environment. Sure enough, it wasn't long before I couldn't see my wrist with my HID can light. Following my plan, I them searched the ice surface. Within ten minutes of starting careful sweeps, a little brown creature appeared in front of my mask. After gently removing him from the ice surface that had frozen around him, I tucked little Jake into my right arm and went back to daylight. I handed my co-worker the amazingly lifelike form of one of his oldest friends and had him hold onto my rig while I got out of it on the surface. He got the heavy tanks to safety and I quickly climbed out to the thanks of the family while I warmed my hands in the garage.

One part of me is still torn. The family thinks that I did them a huge favor and I guess that I did. But, it's not fun when a successful dive involves bringing back something that once was alive and no longer is. It just doesn't seem very successful to me.

But, you all can be the judges of that.

Oh, and those of you with pets...

please give them an extra hug today!

good story, too bad about the unhappy ending.

just imagine doing that with a person. i don't think i could handle that job for long.

Snowbear:
Actually ~ for most, it's not such an unhappy ending. It seems most folks truly do find solace in knowing the outcome and having a body to grieve over. Somehow it seems that bringing back the body lets them have the "closure" they need.

That is what the family told me. Now they have closure. I just can't imagine doing this every day with actual people.

Kudos to ya....

You did the right thing in retrieving the body; for both the family's sake, and yours.

So glad you were able to help them out - makes saying goodbye possible for them... still sad though, but thanks for sharing it with us.

Aloha, Tim

Well done, Brian.

I thought about the two sides of the coin. I came to the conclusion that it was a very good thing. Knowing that there are two young kids looking for their pet, they would be watching that pond. And once it thawed they most likely would have found their dog, and it would not have been well preserved like the pet you brought out.

Children should have as nice of memories as possible. Nice job. You should feel very good about what you did for them.

Good job.

Thanks - I hope someone would come thru for me like that. You are a good friend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom