Wheelchair transportation on Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

South Florida Steve

Registered
Reaction score
I will be travelling with someone in a self powered wheelchair later this year and we seem to be having some trouble coming up with options for ground transportation. Does anyone here have any suggestions?

Not meaning to be snarky at all, but why didn't you research this before choosing where to vacation? I ran across a discussion about this very topic elsewhere online in the past few months. Too many people seem to not realize that US levels of handicapped accessible locations and transportation options are not necessarily available in other counties.

Cayman is a first world country with modern health care facilities and good public health systems and infrastructure, so you should be able to find good options for travelers with disabilities. You can rent scooters and wheelchairs from Empty Suitcases if that is of interest, see the link below.

They do not use jetways at GCM so contact the airline and Owen Roberts Airport for advice and options. The airport should also be able to advise you about ground transportation. I once had a question about the airport and I heard back from a customer service representative, I will send her contact information to you offline.

The smaller condos and apartments usually don't have elevators, so you may want to pick ground floor accommodations, and ask the rental agency about handicapped access in advance.

The Cayman Islands Tripadvisor Travel Forum is not a great source for diving information IMO, but it is an excellent place for information like this - so you should check it out and perhaps post a question there.

Have a terrific trip!

Cayman Islands Vacation Equipment Rental - Empty Suitcases (est. 2005)

Last edited:
I'm not really clear as to what the question is here.

Are you asking about renting a wheelchair once you're down there? Or are you talking about renting a vehicle that a wheelchair you're taking with you can be rolled into? Or are you asking about renting a beach wheelchair down there?

And, is the person completely non-ambulatory?

As Marie13 pointed out, very few places outside of the US have anything like our ADA for their handicapped folks. So, you're going to find it difficult to get around with a wheelchair pretty much anywhere you go outside the US (I'm sure there are a few exceptions). And, I feel your pain because we'll be taking a wheelchair with us to Grand Cayman next summer. Fortunately, my wife is at least partially ambulatory. Nonetheless, I've already started looking into options for getting around with a wheelchair in GC.

You might also find this interesting:

Cayman Disabled Access Review by ACV

WHEELCHAIR TRAVELERS...ISLAND TOUR

Last edited:
Given the Medical Tourism Hospital on island ( Health City Chetty Hospital ) and the number of disabled divers that one sees, there must be wheelchair transportation available. Keep digging.

Last edited:
Though there are not fixed jetways at Owen Roberts Airport but there are four mobile boarding ramps, a bit similar idea to the trucks with stairwells, except these are ramps that can be moved around. There are three large ones for the big jets and one smaller one for the Saab that serves the Sister Islands.. Cayman Airways bought them and use them but were hoping to make them available to other airlines for which they provide ground service. Not sure to what extent any other airline makes use of them.

For ground transportation of someone in a power chair I suggest making inquiries with:
Elite Limousine Services which has a van with rear power lift.

Max Taxi Tours & Transfers also has accesible transport, IIRC, a van with no raised roof. maxtaxi@candw.ky or maxwell@candw.ky
His cell #s 345-917-0133, 345-326-5956.

Reids Premier Tours/Royal Tours 345-945-8142

Webster's Tours has a tours bus with a rear loading accessible lift. This would allow a sizable group to travel with the wheelchair user. Plenty of room for luggage and such.​

These were from some of my old notes. All but Max Taxi still show wheelchair accessible transport in this official government tourist webpage from more recently. (pdf at link)

Cayman does get a good review from John Sage at Accesible Caribbean Vacations. He notes the availability of wheelchair vans, though lack of rentals vans with this capability. Overall he gives Grand Cayman his highest rating of any Caribbean island for its accessibility. That said there is still room for improvement. (Specifically thinking of one telephone pole right in the middle of a narrow section of sidewalk on West Bay Rd which totally blocks access. :banghead:).

Steve.... Drew Clark and Testudo have assembled quite an extensive list for you please disregard the naysayers and enjoy your stay on GC. and as Doctorfish has pointed out "medical tourism" is very prevalent on island .I have seen many wheelchair bound tourists on Island and had the pleasure of diving with one.

Diveheart! Just searching "Diveheart" and "Cayman" and I found a number of threads on this topic on Scuba board, so contacting them may gain you some more ideas and "heads up" to consider while planning your trip. Good Luck!

Thank you all very much for all of the great information. The person in question still hasn't committed to making the trip, I am just trying to get some of the information together to help. I very much appreciate all of the community's assistance!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom