Whee! Spin-cycle @ Breakwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hepcat62

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I went out today (some people told me yesterday was "okay", so figured it was worth a shot) with a classmate to try and get some work in on our mapping project (the metridium fields and the collection of pipes). The vis was quite poor, but that's fine by me. The surge, however, was nearly unbearable. We were getting thrown around every which way, 9-10' each cycle. It seemed like a combination swell as well, as sometimes I would get pushed in two directions and be put into a spin while flying across the bottom.

I heard it got better as you went deeper, but unfortunately our mapping work kept us in the shallows today (covering the pipes). I hope anybody else who went out today found better conditions, and I hope the rest of you had a nice relaxing day at home! :)

On the plus side, I found it really easy to stay in relatively good trim while being blown about. The same cannot be said for one fish I saw near the big pipe, which I saw getting literally rolled along the bottom, desperately trying to right itself. I LOVE my new Halcyon rig. :D

Glad you had such a good time. Lobos today was better than Breakwater, and we didn't need reservations because the wave model was so bad.
I'll post separately once I look up what the fish were that we saw.

Brian,

I was waiting for someone to post about conditions, I took a look at the diving conditions and saw too much movement for my taste...

I guess after my experience with strong surf, bad viz, I now know when to hang up the towel...

Experience is the best model for me, to make sound decisions in future diving...

So you like your new Halcyon rig? Congrats, I knew you would, utmost freedom from BCD's huh? Streamline is just the way to go and the bp/w are just magnificant for that...

I will be diving a mini class for doubles next month with Don, really excited about that. Putting togethter my doubles gear is fun, nothing but Halcyon for me, they just have great equipment and awesome customer support...

Brian have you taken an Essentials class? If not, it's a great idea to get trim/bouyancy better dialed in...

As you already know, I learned a great deal more to diving my rig once Don got me into the water for those days of training. I cannot get enough and can't wait to get more training with my gear to become a better diver...

So how is your DM going? How much longer do you have before you become one?

MG

Last edited:
It's not about diving all of the good days, but rather about diving none of the
bad days. 9' surge the BW?? WOW.

I bailed on Kristina and got:
the weeds sprayed
the oil changed in the Pathfinder
the oll changed in the 'vette
the passenger's side lumbar support in the 'vette fixed
the first pass at pruning the roses

No kidding. Surface conditions were generally fine, with a very manageable entry/exit (albeit a fairly strong rip current), which made us decide to at least TRY to get some work done. Underwater was a different story though.

Brian have you taken an Essentials class? If not, it's a great idea to get trim/bouyancy better dialed in...

Not yet - it's next on my agenda after finishing my DM. In fact, I've got a 7' Miflex hose just waiting to be put on my reg. :D

So how is your DM going? How much longer do you have before you become one?

Estimated finish date is sometime in early/mid-March. We have 6 candidates who all have slightly different schedules, so things have been a bit slow. We're starting to break up the group more though to get things done faster. Once I'm done, I'm planning (assuming they'll have me) on working out of Wallin's. I'll probably lead a few fun dives each year, but mainly I really enjoy assisting OW courses and helping students, so that's what's really driving me to get this thing finished. :)

I bailed on Kristina and got:
the weeds sprayed
the oil changed in the Pathfinder
the oll changed in the 'vette
the passenger's side lumbar support in the 'vette fixed
the first pass at pruning the roses

Brewed a batch of Pale Ale instead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom