What's your personal scuba-related curse?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

going to the 352.

it's a popular wreck, but if i'm on a boat, it's guaranteed to be going there.

Well make sure I'm on the boat, because most of the time we end up going there.

My curse had been the Atlas Tanker, but that finally ended on Friday :). Conditions were pretty good for going around the shoals. Still a bit chilly though, 70F at the bottom.

February, 2012 ???

I was there ... in fact, flew back to Male from the south the day after the coup. There were soldiers unloading what were obviously heavy boxes off of a boat. We thought it might be ammo ... but it turned out to be money. It seems that protesting in the Maldives is a paid profession ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yep, Feb. 2012. I got off of a 16 hour flight to find my mailbox full of messages from family & friends thinking I was dead.

I have an anti-curse.

Fall of 2015 I was at Club Med Turcs & Caicos and decided after a 35 year surface interval to get back into diving and signed up for a discover scuba course with 2 dives. Along came hurricane Joaquin and I couldn't do much except Zumba and sit at the bar the rest of the trip.

But - I was now determined to get back into diving and signed up for OW at my LDS as soon as I got home. It's now 50+ dives later and I'm hooked. Without Joaquin who knows?

And my personal curse is weight belts - they insist on slipping down no matter how tight I set them. When I got my weighting down so it all fit on the BCD I loved it!

But did you just jinx yourself by saying you have an anti-curse...? :wink:

Recently, each trip to the Philippines we've taken has resulted in a medical emergency and some other drama. The first time, we arrived to find out that NONE of our checked luggage made it. Because of the strict carry-on policy, we had no gear, and no clothes. It took two and a half days to track it down and get it back from the airlines. Then, I was struck with vertigo, preventing us from travelling home as planned. It happened the morning we were supposed to leave and we missed our flight. We were in the ER as I was in bad shape, so we didn't call the airlines in time and had to buy three new airline tickets home, costing us an additional $5500 (the only trip ever that I didn't buy trip insurance for).

The second time, we arrived as Supertyphoon Nina was passing through. We were delayed two days in getting to Dauin and then after our first two dives (of a two week trip), I developed skin bends and had to travel back to Cebu City for a chamber dive or two. No diving for me for the first week.

To top it off, we are about to head to Saba on Sunday, and as luck would have it, Tropical Depression 4 threatens to affect our arrival. Starting to feel a little cursed...

My curse seems to be the San Jacinto and City of Cleveland wrecks near Manitoulin Island out of Tobermory, Ontario.
It is a full day charter that I have tried to do perhaps a half dozen times over the years. Blown off by bad weather every time. On some of those trips, we were at least able to dive some other more protected sites, but I have still never managed to dive those two particular wrecks...

i cant seem to keep my mask on my face... arms, fins, even tanks are always knocking it off! Stupid mask!!!

Scuba cursing is pretty difficult without a full face mask. Other divers can't really hear what you're saying.

Hand signals are much more effective.

16f0a1b12e51c25f39fc0f5792ffd9df.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom