Whats your favorite dive and or dive site

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

solodiver

Reaction score
:yellow: I'll start. Mudpuppy dive, thats when your sifting through the mud on the bottom looking for old bottels. If your lucky you can find some as old as the 17oo's.. This is usually a shore dive in about 30 - 40 ft with a bottom time of usually an hour. lots of fun. But hard work. :yellow:

My favorite dive was my very first ocean dive in March 1974. Not because it was beautiful or to the best spot, but because it was the beginning. It opened doors that I hope will never close in my lifetime.

The dive was on a deep reef remnant off Ponce Inlet on the east coast of Florida. The 'dive' boat was a large, smelly, party fishing boat with no dive platform and only a narrow stern ladder for boarding. Remember, this was before there were many boats dedicated strictly to diving. The seas were rough and a lot of people became sick on the 45 minute trip out.

Most of the divers on board were experienced spearfishermen who were into the water within minutes after the anchor was set. Most of them made entry by climbing over the boat's side onto the rubrail and doing a stride when the boat dipped. My buddy and I gathered that was the way to go because that's the way the experienced guys were doing it. It was intimidating with all the gear, but neither of us was going to quit at this point. We did't realize that the rush was because the first spearfishermen in got the first shots and usually got the best fish.

Once in the water we moved forward to the anchor rode and began our decent. Despite the wind and roughness above, it was all calm and serene below. As later dives were to prove, it was a day of some of the best visibility I've ever seen in the Atlantic. About midway down a pair of huge manta rays swan by close enough for us to reach out and touch!

There wasn't much to see on the old reef--actually a 3-4 foot ledge marking a pre historic shoreline. What fish were there were super skittish after the first wave of spearfishermen passed through.

When it came time to ascend, we gathered at the anchor and started up, and were promply joined by the mantas again. They and their accompanying pilot fish and remoras circled us lazily all the way up. They acted as curious about us as we were about them.

Getting aboard was tricky. We had to first doff our tanks and weight belts and hand them to a waiting crewman on the stern ladder. Then we came up.

Such excitement. And the real surprise came when we learned none of the spearfisherfolk had even seen the mantas! They were into the water and down before we made our entry, much less our decent. And they didn't come back until after we started coming aboard.

We've had many dives since then that have been better, more comfortable, and even more exciting. But this dive was the first, my initiation as it were, and because of that, it remains my favorite.

Sorry I've rambled so long. Hadn't thought abut this dive in years and I just got carried away.

Warren

Nubble Light in Maine: I do not own a boat nor do I always have access to one. I like the Nubble because it gets deep quick there. Stepping only a few feet from the shore will put you in 30 fsw. A short swim will put you in 80 fsw. The shore is all slabs of granite there is no sand to get into your equipment, which is really nice after the dive when your all wet. The bottom is a mix of everything, plant life, sand, rock, boulders. During the summer months the area it teaming with life. Skates, Wolf eels and the usual Crabs, Lobster and fish. At the sight is a small sea food stand and a novelty shop, where you can get something to eat or drink during your surface interval and there are flush toilets for your other needs. There is also a pay phone right at the dive sight. All this makes it very easy for me to take my non diving wife with me when I dive. She can sun herself on the rocks, while I dive and when I come up, we can have lunch together.

Dive Safe ………………..Arduous

The Schooner St. James in Lake Erie.

It is a beautiful 19th century wooden schooner a few miles off long point lake erie. Vis is usually fantastic, as you descend down the line you run into one of the fully erect masts at 85feet.

From there it's all down to the port rail at 15o feet! This baby is fully intact both masts are standing , bowsprit still attached and sitting fully upwright at the bottom in 172 feet of water:D

The beautiful rams head still sits below the bowsprit intact and wonderfully carved. All the rigging and deadeyes are there, the ships wheel, the stern slightly raised and rudder fully attached not even missing a board and ready to sail!!!

Bring a canister light and plan for a half an hour on the bottom pay the deco man and enjoy!!

FIVE STAR WRECK not to be missed!!:)

NINJA:ninja:

My favorite dive is a place called Rubicon wall in lake Tahoe. its Deep, Crystal Clear, amazing vertical Granite walls that drop off hundreds of feet.

any Divers in california ever get the chance to should dive lake Tahoe.

TMD

i will be making a trip there this summer.

I love diving the tropics, but Catalina will always be a special place. I completed my OW certificate there, and had a great weekend with my wife. The diving is also fantastic!

My favorite dive site - anywhere off Catalina Island

My favorite dive - the shark dive off Avalon Banks last August.

Mountain Point, Ketchikan, Ak
Mountain Point consists of a small parking lot, a sharply sloped trail to the water, and a underwater photographer's paradise. Depending on the day, you can see a wide variety of nudibranchs, (Hermissenda Crassicornis is my favorite), juvenile wolf eels, adult wolfs, Big Skates, Octopi, etc.
It's also an excellent advanced training sight. We have been down 400 feet right off shore. Can't find anything like that in Florida.

Gotta love the Keys! If I had to say my absolute favorite dive, then I would probably say Sombrero Reef off Marathon. Awesome dive!

:thumb:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom