What's your experience diving with Sandals Antigua....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manni, were the dives two tank morning dives? What time would you usually get back to the resort? Thanks

A co-worker was there not long ago. Resort was full and it took them three days to schedule their pool check-out dives. Then another two days to get on a boat. They would not even let them schedule their boat spots until they had done their pool check-outs. So they lost literally HALF of their 10-day trip from a diving perspective.

I have pics and video. I just have to get around to editing and posting it. I have a few hours of underwater video including some cool shots of a turtle a 10 minutes sequesnce with an octopus

Manni, were the dives two tank morning dives? What time would you usually get back to the resort? Thanks

Yes and we were back at about 12 or 12:30 depending. When it gets rougher, they run pretty far south to get some wind cover.

The single tank afternoon dive is only a couple miles off the resort and leaves at 1:30.

By the way, Sandals in Antigua left divers on the site not once, but twice. Their staff turn over is one of the highest in the industry as they are so poorly treated.

I dont doubt this, but Im surprised as I just dove there and they seemed to be as safe as possible the week we were there. They seemed busier (dive center) between the diving and training, than any Sandals resort Ive been to.

A co-worker was there not long ago. Resort was full and it took them three days to schedule their pool check-out dives. Then another two days to get on a boat. They would not even let them schedule their boat spots until they had done their pool check-outs. So they lost literally HALF of their 10-day trip from a diving perspective.

This was a little frustrating - didnt matter how many dives I had logged, or level of cert - they make everyone get in the pool for s skills demo. That being said - they do it every day and sometimes twice a day. We had no problem getting the skills demo scheduled the same day we got there? They did, however, neglect to write down that we had passed it and on the day of our first dive - luckliy, they remembered me being in the pool since I was wearing a FFM and stood out.

My wife & I were certified by Sandals Grande in Naussau in about 1996, not long after the two divers were left in Antigua. While there we met a gentleman who had been retained by Sandals to review their ops. He was "in cognito" if you will and helping all the divers with weights and setups etc. When I commented that they should hire him he let us in on his little secret mission. We have since stayed at three or four Sandals resorts for a total of about 10 weeks. We are headed to Antigua the first week of May. My wife and I have about 100 dives now and recently earned our Advanced Open Water Certifications in the Exumas. I beleive the Sandals staff does a very good job for the wide range of skill sets and ages they are attempting to accomodate. I beleive they are good citizen for the dive industry as they provide a good way for a lot of people to learn to dive. Someone in an earlier post mentioned the dive op at Beaches Turks and Caicos. They were quite honeslty the most impressive of the dive ops. The first day we were there the boat was filled to capacity and we thought it would be chaotic. They were surprisingly well orgnized doing predives in groups on diffierent parts of the boat (bow/ stern/etc). There was no chaos but very orderly into the deep and out. They were calling for tank pressure on every diver predive and post dive. I admit advanced divers might be used to more adrenaline spiking action but for the masses the Sandals dive ops serve a very good market.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom