What's your experience diving with Sandals Antigua....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yrbabygirl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am considering Sandals Antigua for my next trip. I loved Sandals Grande in St Lucia. Hoping the diving with Sandals Antigua is just as good... what was your experience like if you stayed & dove with Sandals Antigua?

Try posting on tripadvisor

I just got back from Sandals Antigua, last week.

Ive been to Sandals St Lucia in the past.

Let me know what you want to know and I will answer.

We were there from Dec 10 - 18th.

BEAUTIFUL place and love Sandals in General.

As with all Sandals - Make sure you take advantage of the "reservation" restaurants since the food is much better. The only "issue" with this resort is that it is a little buggy. Bring bug spray (off) with you since the store charges 25 US. Its not bad during the day - but as the sun goes down, it does get worse. Nothing to bad - but worth noting.

Diving.

Nothing spectacular - but worth doing. The resort is VERY conservative on diving since they get a TON of divers. They make everyone do the pool orientation. Even though I showed them that I was an advanced diver - my last dive was 5 days prior and I had over 100 dives this year - they still made me get in the pool and show that I know how to clear my mask and recover my regulator. Oh well - took 5 minutes and wasnt to bad.

They have a wreck about 2 miles from the resort that is shallow (15-30 FSW) and they look at it as a bad dive, but it was my favorite dive that we did. Its an old German Freighter and has a lot of structure and fish everywhere. I swam with a Wahoo (until it took off at mach 5).

Reef diving was average at best - but I got good video of a few sharks, an Octopus, I swam with a turtle for about 10 minutes, and saw all the usual suspects of Carribean reef fish - so I cant complain.

Overall - It was great and I would go back. Let me know what you want to know and I will answer since it is fresh in my mind.

As others will note - Sandals offers free diving and the diving is very good - BUT - its not your typical Dive resort that is solely based on diving. A lot of diving snobs look down at that, but I actually prefer it. I was on vacation with a few dives mixed in - others seem to want to go diving with a little vacation mixed it!!!

The did set up a night dive at our request - so they will basically do whatever the guests request.

To add to Mani Nukk's post, Antigua is not a fabulous dive destination. Sandals IMHO is a wholesale mill bringing folks in and out..it's massive and thus caters to the masses. Not a fan. Antigua has far better accommodations for a more intimate experience. Most dive sites are on the lower west and down south. In the past a long while ago, Sandals left some folks at sea. They did rescue them later.

http://www.*****************/forums/sandals_scuba_accident/sandals_scuba_accident.html

at least the got around to rescuing them. Hate it when they forget that last part...:D
:gas:

We have never visited Antigua, but stayed 3X at the Sandals on T&C, and I dived with them.
They were are great group to dive with, but somewhat limited in options, as they do cater to more of a mass market clientele.

I did enjoy our Sandals stay and the diving, but I learned that we can do better $ wise than the Beaches/Sandals all inclusive by shopping and booking ourselves.

To add to Mani Nukk's post, Antigua is not a fabulous dive destination. Sandals IMHO is a wholesale mill bringing folks in and out..it's massive and thus caters to the masses. Not a fan. Antigua has far better accommodations for a more intimate experience. Most dive sites are on the lower west and down south. In the past a long while ago, Sandals left some folks at sea. They did rescue them later.

http://www.*****************/forums/sandals_scuba_accident/sandals_scuba_accident.html

I have read all over the place that antigua was not great diving and I guess I agree - depending on what you are looking for. Warm, Clear water, great vis, cool wreck and decent reefs. Its not Belize - but I was only looing at 5-7 dives for the week - not a weeklong diving extravaganza.

That being said - Sandals, the entity, may be huge, but the individual resorts - I love. They are large, but never crowded. I love the all inclusive idea and we have tried several and think Sandals has it figured out best. Ive also tried Ala Cart vacations - but prefer all inclusive at this point.

I dont know what their protocol was like when they lost the divers, but from what I saw a few weeks ago - it wont happen again. The DM was VERY specific about staying with the group and kept a close eye on everyone. They had names and lists that were double and tripple checked. The Diver to DM ratio was kept at 6 to1.

Like I said - very conservative. Especially since the week before a group of us chartered a boat in the Keys, did 5-8 dives per day, no DM and did whatever we want. Also - MOST of my diving is from my own boat in NJ so having to follow a DM in the keys isnt my idea of fun. That being said - I enjoyed the diving.

It can be frustrating since they get ALL levels of divers. They said that they certify 30-50 people per week in Antigua. Not the "resort course" , but the actual PADI BASIC cert. The second day I dove there, we had 2 newly certified divers, myself, and one other experienced divers, and a guy who has dove for 30+ years. Very mixed group.

I have worked for Sandals in Turks & Caicos and dove in Antigua for 5 years until recently leaving the Caribbean. Do not want to make my views public, but feel free to email me on bentdiver@live.com for thorough information.
Cheers
Bryan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom