What's your experience diving with Sandals Antigua....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have dove with Sandals in The Bahamas, St. Lucia and Antigua (also went to Jamaica but weren't divers then). Bahamas had the most colorful fish and things but Antigua was a better overall dive experience. Despite everyone saying that Antigua is the best or most romantic Sandals and honeymoon spot, we were not more impressed with it over other Sandals. I preferred The Bahamas Sandals. The Sand fleas were terrible at Antigua, my wife and I had a million bites on our legs. It was so bad, we just did not go to the beach at all, just stayed at the pool.

If you are looking for an all-inclusive resort that dives, Sandals is the best. If you want a trip where diving is the priority, go somewhere else.

We like Sandals because my wife enjoys diving, but does not want it to be the only thing. We like not having to tip, pay for food and drinks while on vacation. We have been to other "all-inclusives" where we had to wear wristbands and carry cash for tips at all times. That was not as fun as Sandals where tipping is not allowed.

Everything I've always heard is the Sandals diving experience is very dumbed down because of the low experience level of their typical divers and all dives are timed dives because they run the operation on a schedule.

True or not?

Mike, it is generally true. I probably have 20-25 dives at 3 different Sandals resorts and most are not the longest dives or challenging. Most dives are probably 30 minutes long. There are often 20 or so people on the boats, so they cant be too challenging. They usually do have multiple DM in the water with you, but I think when you have that many divers they need it. I dont think I have ever done a wreck with all of those Sandals dives, but I have heard that some people have.

You cant really choose Sandals because you want great diving. You have to pick it because diving is secondary there. If you want a trip where you dont have to pay anything once you leave the house (no tips, alcohol, food, etc) Sandals may be for you.

We are going on a cruise this summer (so again diving is not the priority) but it is because we wanted to go on a trip with non-diving friends. We will probably dive on one or two of the islands but that is it. I made a deal that if we went, I get to choose a dive resort for the next trip. So, now I have to decide on where to go.....

I have been to two Sandals. Nassau and St. Lucia. I will be going to T&C at some point. I have had a great experience both times. The staff was fun, personable, and yet proffressional. I never noticed a time problem. Because of various skill levels they do come up as a group when the first person hits a preset pressure (500 or 700 I think can't remember for sure.) The equipment is included wich is great when you fly standby like myself.
I don't think it is good for those that want to do 4 or more dives at great depths, but for the average or beginner its great. I may be partial because of the deal of $100 a night per person all inclusive including the diving. I haven't found a deal to beat that anywhere yet.

I have been to two Sandals. Nassau and St. Lucia. I will be going to T&C at some point. I have had a great experience both times. The staff was fun, personable, and yet proffressional. I never noticed a time problem. Because of various skill levels they do come up as a group when the first person hits a preset pressure (500 or 700 I think can't remember for sure.) The equipment is included wich is great when you fly standby like myself.
I don't think it is good for those that want to do 4 or more dives at great depths, but for the average or beginner its great. I may be partial because of the deal of $100 a night per person all inclusive including the diving. I haven't found a deal to beat that anywhere yet.
We just came back from 14 days at Sandals Grande in Nassau. If it says anything, at least four of the DM's from our trip in 1996 were still there. While there we met three other couples who have been coming back for many years. Allegedly this resort has the most repeat divers in th Sandals chain. Warm water, good viz, mostly calm water. Most of the divers were baby boomers, ourselves included, though there were a number(3) of honeymoon couples getting certififed. We did a couple of wreck dives, wall dives, saw a number of sharks, rays, typical reef fish. The dive profiles were conservative however, as most things in the Carribean the dives were clocked on island time, if you get my drift. I think we maxed at 50 minutes which for us was fine. The crew there was fabulous. Very helpful, kept an eye on everybody, pointed out cool stuff. We have come appreciate this. We plan to go back in the fall. When most resorts charge $100 to $150 to dive, the cost of these all inclusive resorts is hard to beat. :D

I will be in Sandals Negril in Jamaica for five days in January and then transfer to Sandals Royal Caribbean for another five days. Transfers are free and it gives us a chance to enjoy a variety on the same trip.

I started diving at a Sandals resort five years ago and did my PADI OW there.

I have moved on and now am advanced stage deco and cave certified, I'm now 62.

Diving at Sandals is very relaxed and the dive operation is well run. I know people who have been working there for the last five years.

My wife does not dive and likes reading and relaxing on the beach. She can't get the same comfort in Tulum when I cave dive. At Sandals we have everything included, no meals to plan, no shopping, no timeshare or beach peddlers.

Like others have said you go there primarily to relax and enjoy the south plus you have the possibility to dive in very nice places.

In the spring and summer I also like to go to the Club Med resort of Columbus Isle in the Bahamas.

The diving operation there is more elaborate and the dive environment is spectacular. Divers on the second boat saw a 20 ton humpback whale resting on the sand in 40 feet of water. The walls drop down thousands of feet and the fish population is untouched.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom