What's your best find lately?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divingjd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
OK, so I'm tired of hearing about the election, I need some distraction, and I do have trip coming up in a few months, so how about this. Somebody recently posted his best find of his trip, video of juvenile Smooth Trunkfish. What's your best find lately? Could be a fish or critter, new restaurant, something to do, new favorite dive op or guide. Whatever you found last time.

I found two things last February. El Palomar is worth a visit. Nice location on the water, good food, nice people, and some good music sometimes. Buccano's at Night was not worth a visit. It's a nice setting. The food varied from fairly good to just OK. Timing was way off, our bill got horribly screwed up (getting my card shut off and requiring a phone call to the bank - luckily, there are free phone calls to the States from Villa Aldora), and we got a cold, half-hearted apology from management. We'll go back to El Palomar. Won't go back to the other place.

Colores y Sabores, Calle 5 between Melgar and Ave. 5. Local 707, Ave. 5 between 7 and 9. Chardonnay at 5 and 7. And I always find something new when I fall off the boat, but can't pinpoint them so much :wink:

Last edited:
New to me, I am sure most on this site have seen them. The white "finger" coral gardens at San Juan were awesome.

I found two things last February. El Palomar is worth a visit. Nice location on the water, good food, nice people, and some good music sometimes. Buccano's at Night was not worth a visit. It's a nice setting. The food varied from fairly good to just OK. Timing was way off, our bill got horribly screwed up (getting my card shut off and requiring a phone call to the bank - luckily, there are free phone calls to the States from Villa Aldora), and we got a cold, half-hearted apology from management. We'll go back to El Palomar. Won't go back to the other place.
Wow; too bad. I have been to Buccano's 4 or 5 times and everything was fine every time. A bit pricey but worth it.

Cool thing last trip- I got a good look at the Cozumel raccoon, a pygmy variety found only on the island. There was a band of them at the beach club where we did our surface interval, accomplished moochers and not at all shy. I am surprised that we hadn't seen them before.

Cool thing last trip- I got a good look at the Cozumel raccoon, a pygmy variety found only on the island. There was a band of them at the beach club where we did our surface interval, accomplished moochers and not at all shy. I am surprised that we hadn't seen them before.
Although they look a bit like raccoons they are coatimundis and they are found all over South and Central America.

Last edited:
Got a good look of this mama and baby raccoons at beach club during surface interval.

PICT0794.JPG

Yes-they are two separate beasties. Google "Cozumel raccoon" and you will find info about Procyon pygmaeus, a critically-endangered pygmy raccoon found only on the island of Cozumel. They hang out in mangroves eating crabs, but some have learned to mooch food from humans. Coatis look quite different. As you can see from that nice photo, The little beggers get so close to us that I have no doubt about the ID.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom