What's wrong with Cozumel in July?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know that OK gets the humidity like Coz (and the middle Atlantic states). Philadelphia can get really oppressively hot and humid.

I live just north of Houston, TX. Coz is hot and humid in July, but I feel like it isn't as bad as where I live. It may have something to do with why I'm there. Or maybe not.

Cheers -

I would love to go in July, but the airlines seem to think that the heat causes the planes to burn five times as much fuel. It's over $500 to get to CUN from ATL. And forget CZM. Delta has reduced flights to Saturdays only.

The Max8 grounding is making it even harder to go in slow season ug. I heard they wont even possibly fly again till August at the earliest........!

The Max8 grounding is making it even harder to go in slow season ug. I heard they wont even possibly fly again till August at the earliest........!

I hadn't thought of that, but it was expensive last summer, too. I was recently reminded that I had posted about it on fb. I didn't understand it then, either.

It is oppressively hot and humid, but lovely underwater. This will be our 4th June/July trip to Mexico, but I'm used to 90 degrees and 100 percent humidity in Pittsburgh. Stay hydrated and take a gallon of bug spray and you should enjoy yourself. 26 days, 8 hours 51 min 4 seconds until we leave for 18 days of diving bliss. Plus the whale sharks will be there

I think it basically boils down to 2 things:
  1. It's nice at home for most North Americans, who represent the majority of scuba divers visiting the island. They tend to come when they are tired of freezing to death
  2. Hurricane potential
As for the weather...I had a friend (they don't come to the island anymore) who lived and worked in Louisiana or one of those southern states. She said it was more comfortable for her to be in Coz in the summer that at her home state.

For me, I have beautiful summers in Canada (short but beautiful) and we sometimes do non-diving travel in spring and fall to avoid tourist lineups at places like Paris, Rome, etc.

I'm a recovering Galvestonian with family still there. I have a nephew just north of Charlotte. It's often hotter where those relatives live than in Cozumel, and no more humid. It's surprisingly common that it's hotter here in northern New England than in Cozumel even in the summer. The sun is really very intense, though.

My first visit to Cozumel was in August, and my second later than year was between hurricanes. I still returned. We've been hurricaned on in Orlando in September more times than Cozumel in the summer.

Actually, I think the earth is closer to the sun during the northern hemisphere winter months but I don't think the difference is that significant given the law of inverse squares.

The sun-Earth distance varies by about +/- 2% over the course of the year, so the distance does have an effect on intensity of +/- 4% (4% weaker in July, 4% stronger in January.) Of course this effect is dominated by the angle of the sun in the sky, which in Coz in July means the sun is nearly directly overhead.

We are closest around Jan 6, furthest around July 6. You can actually see this effect in the calendar: The equinoxes are around Sep 20 and Mar 20 each year (give or take a day); there are 184 days from March 20 to Sept 20 (because March, May, July, Aug have 31 days), but only 181 days from Sept 20 to Mar 20 (mostly due to Feb being shorter.) The Earth gets around the winter half of its orbit a few days quicker because its a little closer.

Yay astronomy.

Back
Top Bottom