What's wrong in this picture?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My observation is that not one single diver in that pic has their hand on their primary reg and mask during a giant stride.....

None of them have split fins.

file-1000x600.jpg

I found it here.
What is the answer? I hold my camera, not my mask. Sans snorkel, the mask stays on just fine during a giant stride entry

What is the answer? I hold my camera, not my mask. Sans snorkel, the mask stays on just fine during a giant stride entry
If you have 2 hands, why not hold the camera in your left and reg/mask with your right? There is no guarantee that your mask stays, even if your nose is oversized.

If you have 2 hands, why not hold the camera in your left and reg/mask with your right? There is no guarantee that your mask stays, even if your nose is oversized.
Seriously, was the "problem" in that photo about mask holding on entry? In those conditions?

Okay the long answer.

Hold my Nauticam with one hand? No, just no. I sometimes, after developing a bond of trust with the deck hands I will allow them to hand the camera in to me but over the years I have had several expensive incidents doing so such that I generally stride in with the camera system. My wife goes back aboard ahead of me and she takes the camera coming out.

My video era, what a waste of effort, lol, the AquaVideo was a little heavy for one hand and especially when equipped with the lights of the day back in the 80s.

In nearly 54 years as an active diver and most of those carrying a camera I have never lost a mask. On my last trip a few weeks ago I did have the strap slip but it is just not an issue.

In the olden times I had masks that were large enough to be an aquarium. Triple windows were a fad for a while. Yes, those surely wanted to part company and not just during entry. This old USD Aquarius was one such, it had enough buoyancy to try to float away all on it's own, entry was not the problem, keeping it from floating away during the dive was.

Modern, low volume masks, especially frameless models like the Atomic Frameless and Scubapro Frameless just do not come off, at least not for me. If entry is going to be rough I may not take my camera or I will put the mask strap under my hood or beanie.

In that OP photo, the sea conditions are about as benign as a swimming pool. The bottom looks at most 20 feet. If they lose their masks they can just swim down and get them, I do not see a safety issue, none. Maybe not holding the mask is poor practice but so is wearing a snorkel when not snorkeling or swimming from shore and they are SCUBA diving from what appears to be a boat transom. It is a pretty photo, really emphasizes the joy of diving with friends. Thanks for posting it. :) You do make a good point now that my mask has $300 of prescription in it, I need to get an identical spare! Should it get damaged or lost, I hope not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom