What's with the visibility at Dutch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tridacna

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I was there last weekend and it was the worst I've EVER seen. I was on the student side and we could barely see each other at 30' on the platforms. It sorta cleared up below 50' but was still bad. I saw instructors struggling to herd students together on thecplatforms no less. We've limited our class sizes for this coming weekend because of it.

Anyone have any idea why it's so bad? I suspect a combination of algal bloom and silt but whatever the cause, it's horrible. Almost not worth going at this point.

Every August the Algae bloom hits Dutch around the middle of August and usually last 3 weeks- month. Last year bloom lasted almost 6 weeks and the Vis.will get fat better. The best thing to do with students is platform for skills and then do a rope tour or swim along North wall-good reference points. Anytime you complain about Dutch's visibilty -try diving in some of our local lakes..

I've been diving at Dutch since 2001. Have almost 500 dives there. I'll repeat - the vis this year is the worst I've EVER seen. Yes, last year was bad but the water levels were also the worst in years. I saw instructors having a torrid time on the platforms with students.

I just wonder why its getting worse and worse. BTW, DS was a limestone quarry, not a cement quarry. (Yes I understand how cement is made). I'm not sure why the visibility has deteriorated so much over the past 20 years. Temp seems to have remained constant over the years. Maybe the algal blooms are just that much worse. Sucks nonetheless.

Have you had a look around recently? Dutch has some new neighbors. The world is coming.....

According to the dutch springs Instagram account:

For the divers: It's Aug and the water is the warmest, high 70's or low 80's on the surface. That means the algae bloom has started. Visibility has decreased, just be aware. It will start to change after Labor Day when the night temperature starts to decrease. To settle the minds of people who think it is because of the Aqua Park, it is not. What has caused this is the zebra mussels. Before zebra mussels visibility averaged 10 to 15 feet with the greatest 30 to 40 feet. After zebra mussels the average visibility increased to 20 to 30 feet with the greatest 70 to 80 feet. That allows the sun to get further down in the water causing the algae to reproduce greater than when visibility was less. I thought you would like this information.

Got it. Thanks for the update. Occam's razor wins again.

Got it. Thanks for the update. Occam's razor wins again.

occam.jpg

I've been diving at Dutch since 2001. Have almost 500 dives there. I'll repeat - the vis this year is the worst I've EVER seen. Yes, last year was bad but the water levels were also the worst in years. I saw instructors having a torrid time on the platforms with students.

I just wonder why its getting worse and worse. BTW, DS was a limestone quarry, not a cement quarry. (Yes I understand how cement is made). I'm not sure why the visibility has deteriorated so much over the past 20 years. Temp seems to have remained constant over the years. Maybe the algal blooms are just that much worse. Sucks nonetheless.
I think it is time for more divers from tri-state area make more trips up to 1,000 Islands so that more Zebra Mussels can be introduced into Dutch from diver's gear..(hahah)

Back
Top Bottom