What's with the arms.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got back from the dive shop in time to see this thread going in the wrong direction. so lets get back on topic. it seems to me that the snow plow has some reason behind it. ( I just don't know what it is ).

In the origanal thread I said these divers were streamlined, trimmed and had no danglies. the snow plow defeats all of this.

I will admit that the paddle comment was a bit of trolling.( one persons trolling is another persons humor) :11:

And I'll admit I use the snow plow position in deco, holding a reel. but the pictures I've seen the divers are swimming not in deco or safety stop.

novadiver:
In the origanal thread I said these divers were streamlined, trimmed and had no danglies. the snow plow defeats all of this.

How so? If your arms are in front of you, hands clasped, then you are simply creating the slipstream with your arms, rather than your head and shoulders. You aren't displacing any more water for forward movement than you would be if your hands were clenched in tight to your body.

I really don't see the issue here ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Soggy:
I thank you for the reply soggy. were you trained to do this or does this come natural

answers to other questions about NOVATRIM.

1. my hands are tucked into my chest, fists together.
2 left hand holds inflater, add or dump is a very small motion.
3right hand holds light. very small wrist motion to signal and aiming is also a very small motion
4 SPG is tucked under harness stap.left hand 2 inches away. small motion to check gas supply
5 equalizing and clearing mask, hands are one foot away so again very small motion.
6 stage tank valve is tucked into the bend of the elbow ( for valve protection and to prevent the tank from hanging down ( streamlined deco tank )
7 trim position does not change with any task

as you can see, all of these tchniques use the smallest of motion to complete any task. and minimal by any standart is hargarthian

Now some people just won't get it anyway you slice it, so if there are any serious questions, please PM me

you've been NOVATIZED ( this is my way of humor, it's not ego )

that's what makes them "

I look at my gauges far more often than I play with my buoyancy.. but you dive which way works for you. For me, hands out front works best.

jonnythan:
I look at my gauges far more often than I play with my buoyancy.. but you dive which way works for you. For me, hands out front works best.

Well then Jonny, you just failed nova-fundimentals :11: :m16:

I think that the big difference between a streamlined diver with a hogarthian rig who keeps his arms out in front and a diver who is NOT streamlined but has his arms out front is what the arms are doing. Most if not all of the divers who have posted in this thread who keep their arms out front keep them relatively still; if they are looking at guages, holding a light, resting them on deco bottles, or whatever, the arms are basically stationary or only slightly and slowly moving. The not streamlined diver is flailing about using those arms for propulsion, directional stability, or generally wasting energy. There is a big difference between these two (theoretical) divers.

Clearly if you have guages on your wrists you want these to be readily available and keeping ones arms out can help this, a light is another obvious use for an arms forward, or at least one arm forward position.

Mark Vlahos

novadiver:
Well then Jonny, you just failed nova-fundimentals :11: :m16:
Wasn't the initial question why some people do it the way we do it? :eyebrow:

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom