What's up with my regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubble Maker

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My wife and I were down in Monterey today enjoying the nice clear water and as soon as we went down, I noticed a fluttering sensation in my regulator. I have an Aqualung Legend LX, about 8 months old. I "problem" was in the 1st stage because when I inflated the BC, I heard the same fluttering noise. I suspect that it was the diaphram, but 2 weeks ago it was working fine! I had absolutely no problem with my air supply so on my 2nd dive I didn't worry so much about it (the problem seemed to have lessened)

Since the reg is so new, and it worked fine up until today, I have a suspicion that water got into the 1st stage and the fluttering feel was caused by bubbles?

speculation and warnings of eminent death welcomed :wink:

Saw that exact problem in a brand new Oceanic last week. It turned out to be too soft of an HP poppet and the cone had dug a small "plug" in the seat that allowed air in in bursts.

Take it back to whoever you bought it from and get the seat checked...NOW!

Ray, thanks for the reply. I'll take it down to my LDS and have it checked out.

rcontrera:
Saw that exact problem in a brand new Oceanic last week. It turned out to be too soft of an HP poppet and the cone had dug a small "plug" in the seat that allowed air in in bursts.

Take it back to whoever you bought it from and get the seat checked...NOW!

Well, the tech took the first stage apart and found no problems. He even inspected the second stage and still in perfect working order. So, with that in mind we went out to the pinnacles in Carmel Bay 2 weeks ago and at 70 feet, my reg worked perfectly.

Whatever it was, nobody knows!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom