What's This?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
looks like a bomb.
Naw, it dosen't. Kinda but no. The "bomb that is mentioned later here is a depth charge, fuzed. Bout 2 1/2 feet long and 10 inches around, sorry saw it but don't rember the MK and Mod off hand

Wildcard:
Naw, it dosen't. Kinda but no. The "bomb that is mentioned later here is a depth charge, fuzed. Bout 2 1/2 feet long and 10 inches around, sorry saw it but don't rember the MK and Mod off hand
does "fuzed" mean "live"?

For one, it means I cant spell, for two, yes live and for three, may or may not be armed. What is there is a live depth charge, suspected to be armed so don't screw with it. Thousands of them here. We were trying to clear them but the Ohana lawyers stoped all ordnance removal with "environmental" issues. Ohana in this case means NYC. Nice work on the greenies part. "Lets stop all this remedation work on behafe of some rocks"......Time to stop trying to spell and get some sleep.

Perhaps it's an old EPIRB.

Was it at about 30', a little ways SW/clockwise from the lighthouse? I'm pretty sure I've seen that before.

Edit: add photo from last February .

Available light. Not nearly as clear as Wildcard's, but good enough to tell that this piece of junk has been there for several months.

The other photos before and after in the sequence indicate that last Feb it was just CCW from the point where the pyramid butterfly fish school, a little bit CW from the lighthouse.

P2246632.jpg

Could it be a collection bottle of somekind (lowered and closed at depth)? Or even a container to hold somekind of sensor (tracking, temperature, etc)? The two cylindrical objects are strapped together, other than the "cord" looking ribbon cable, which shows they might belong in a grouping (two different sensors in two different cylinders) with one showing a rounded area where a rope or cable could be attached. I'm guessing the "wire" looping all over the place is either part of the original setup (including both on boat and inwater tracking system), or the sensor was caught in something and cut loose - it then drifted to where it is now, someone found and contained the "mess" in one small area to prevent further harm to native corals and fish. The label looks to "clean" and specific to be anything stock pvc pipe related, and seems to imply the "object(s)" have or had a specific purpose. Are they're any pic(s) of the label? I doubt that it would be a stationary (plant now, come back later) water temp sensor, given the way it's attached to the substrate.

-----

Mike.

Turns out it's a NOAA thingy and has the word Coral written on it so perhaps they're doing a survey on coral? It was upright originally.

Probably a hydrolab then. They're modular packages. If it's not too dinged up, NOAA may want it back.

archman:
Probably a hydrolab then. They're modular packages. If it's not too dinged up, NOAA may want it back.

Not dinged up at all. I'll be glad to point it out for them, all I need is a boat ride :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom