What's the treatment for mild DCS symptons (shoulder pain) after 48 hours?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

L Neal

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Not sure if this is the right forum for my question but others seem to be asking similar. I returned Sunday evening from a 7 d dive trip completing 16 tanks, using a Suunto Zoop computer. I stayed within the no deco limits except on 1 dive midweek when I when I needed a brief deco stop, which I completed. My maximum depth was 85 ft. on the last dive, but ascended gradually and included a safety stop. That night (about 8 - 10 hours later) I awoke with pain in the right back/shoulder area. Flew home the next day, thinking it was probably muscle strain, but pain increased slightly and discomfort included burning/ sore sensation on my skin in the same general area.

My last dive was on Saturday afternoon, flew out early Sunday morning (18 hours later) and wondering now if this could be DCS and if so should I be treating it any differently than I would a muscle strain or pull (ie, pain relievers like Advil & Tylenol). DAN suggested I consider visiting a nearby hospital with chamber doctor, but I'm wondering whether it's worth the trouble and I should just wait it out.

Be prepared for a flood of SB criticism.

You had a concentrated dive series, which included at least one inadvertent deco dive, which you completed.
You flew with symptoms, less than 24 hours after your last dive.
You called DAN, and they recommended a visit to a chamber doc.

And now you're 2-3 days out, and you'd like someone to tell you that you don't really have to follow the doctor's recommendation.

Have I got that right?

Diving Doc

Follow DAN's recommendation.

Ideally you should have gone onto O2 as soon as you had symptoms, during the period you where being evacuated to a chamber.
The longer the period between being symptomatic and treatment, the more likely you will suffer permanent damage. This can be mild impairment, to full paralysis or death.

Not sure if this is the right forum for my question but others seem to be asking similar. I returned Sunday evening from a 7 d dive trip completing 16 tanks, using a Suunto Zoop computer. I stayed within the no deco limits except on 1 dive midweek when I when I needed a brief deco stop, which I completed. My maximum depth was 85 ft. on the last dive, but ascended gradually and included a safety stop. That night (about 8 - 10 hours later) I awoke with pain in the right back/shoulder area. Flew home the next day, thinking it was probably muscle strain, but pain increased slightly and discomfort included burning/ sore sensation on my skin in the same general area.

My last dive was on Saturday afternoon, flew out early Sunday morning (18 hours later) and wondering now if this could be DCS and if so should I be treating it any differently than I would a muscle strain or pull (ie, pain relievers like Advil & Tylenol). DAN suggested I consider visiting a nearby hospital with chamber doctor, but I'm wondering whether it's worth the trouble and I should just wait it out.

Hi L Neal,

Yes, it's worth the trouble and no, don't wait it out. If nothing else it may alleviate some worry, and you'll have a qualified medical professional examining you in person.

Best regards,
DDM

You were already advised to seek further medical care for a possible DCS injury which can have long term consequences, and here you are asking a bunch of strangers who don't have a clue about your dive profile or medical history if you think you should follow that advice as compared to just taking a few pain killers and throwing caution to the wind.

You are probably the sort of person (if this story is true of course) who makes up their mind and then looks for others to validate your decision so here you go. From where I sit, in my comfortable chair, in near perfect health, I'm going to suggest you're just fine and you can pop a few pills and stop worrying about those silly bends that divers only get once in a while and aren't worth worrying about.

A few things strike me as somewhat suspicious about this post.

1- First post by new member
2- Diver goes into unintentional deco
3- Diver ignores doctors advice and has a carefree attitude about a potentially serious medical issue

You were already advised to seek further medical care for a possible DCS injury which can have long term consequences, and here you are asking a bunch of strangers who don't have a clue about your dive profile or medical history if you think you should follow that advice as compared to just taking a few pain killers and throwing caution to the wind.

You are probably the sort of person (if this story is true of course) who makes up their mind and then looks for others to validate your decision so here you go. From where I sit, in my comfortable chair, in near perfect health, I'm going to suggest you're just fine and you can pop a few pills and stop worrying about those silly bends that divers only get once in a while and aren't worth worrying about.

A few things strike me as somewhat suspicious about this post.

1- First post by new member
2- Diver goes into unintentional deco
3- Diver ignores doctors advice and has a carefree attitude about a potentially serious medical issue

If someone comes to this forum seeking medical advice then that advice should be offered without judgement. Health care professionals see this kind of thing all the time and it's not limited to potential DCS patients. If you have something productive to contribute feel free, but kindly save the prosaic sarcasm for other forums.

Best regards,
DDM

.... That night (about 8 - 10 hours later) I awoke with pain....
Interesting....Any additional details of what you did between diving and sleep that night?

Just going by title in thread... The treatment is a chamber ride.

Now I'll go back and glean for more info.

Ok, read everything now and I want to laugh, but I won't. Go to a chamber.

I know a guy who had DCS specifically joint pain. Several times in fact. He'd self treat with oxygen and pain killers. Years later diagnosed with some kind of necrotizing decay of the bone marrow from untreated DCS. He doesn't dive anymore. He's 40 years old. Get treatment.

Back
Top Bottom