What's the story with Canadian Extreme Dive Equipment Co.?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonscubas

Contributor
Reaction score
Tried calling Darren Deering. The guy on the other line sounds like him, but instead he says that I have the wrong number and that he likes scuba too and ask me the reason of why I'm calling. Sounds suspicious if you ask me.

Anyway, the reason I was calling was because my backup light appears to be producing a very dim beam, unlike when I first got it, it was super bright, now it's super dim.

Anybody else have this problem with their Scout or Canadian Extreme if you got one?

What did you do to fix the problem?

I already tried new batteries, and even replaced the SL4 Bulb/Housing with a new one. Still not as bright as before.

I'm beginning to think it has something to do with the battery tray (stamped brass metal).

Any advice will also do. Thanks.

Well I got an email from Darren a couple of days ago. I wanted a few of his lights for myself and a buddy. His email said he was in Asia and has not taken down the website yet. He didn't say when he would be back or if he would for that matter. I would say go to his sight and see if it's still there. I'm sure he'd be glad to help you with your light. I'll see if I can dig up the link if you don't have it already.

jonscubas once bubbled...
Anyway, the reason I was calling was because my backup light appears to be producing a very dim beam, unlike when I first got it, it was super bright, now it's super dim.

Any advice will also do.
...but you've checked the batteries, right?

Darren is a one man show - if he's in Asia, Canadian Extreme would effectively be shut down until he returns.

Try using a regular pencil eraser on all of the battery contacts. It works with my radio equipment and just about anything else. Some manufacturers even suggest this technique as the most effective.

Like I said in my previous post, I've checked everything else, even purchased a replacement lighthead assembly. Still no go. I will try a detailed clean instead.

alkaline batteries can offgas stuff that is corosive to brass try cleaning off the battery cardle strip where it makes contact at both ends

even better tin th contact points on the brass strip with solder the higher % tin the better and silver doenst hurt they dont corrode the way brass does and will protect the strip against happening again

jonscubas once bubbled...
TAnyway, the reason I was calling was because my backup light appears to be producing a very dim beam, unlike when I first got it, it was super bright, now it's super dim.I already tried new batteries, and even replaced the SL4 Bulb/Housing with a new one. Still not as bright as before.

I'm beginning to think it has something to do with the battery tray (stamped brass metal).

Any advice will also do. Thanks.

What about the Abyss Lighting Bolt backup light, does anybody have any info on it?
Not a bad piece of kit. It looks to be pretty solid. The body is made out of 6061 aircraft aluminum and finished with blue anodizing. Depth rated to 300". I believe the head is the same SL4. I could be wrong though that's what it looks like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom