What's the secret to getting that deep blue color?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess I am out of my element here as I use an SLR camera. So I probably shouldn't be giving advise. I just know for myself that if you meter [from film days] the blue on a sunny day at 60ft the F stop is 8. 40ft F11, 80ft F5.6 Roughly.
For me changing shutter speed only varies the lighting of the foreground. As pointed out though
SS may be used with your set up.
The bottom line is trial and error. The more you learn to control and the less you give over to the camera the happier you will be with your results. This of course is made much easier in the digital era as there is almost instant feedback. If your camera doesn't record your settings keep a slate with you.

I guess I am out of my element here as I use an SLR camera. So I probably shouldn't be giving advise. I just know for myself that if you meter [from film days] the blue on a sunny day at 60ft the F stop is 8. 40ft F11, 80ft F5.6 Roughly.
For me changing shutter speed only varies the lighting of the foreground. As pointed out though
SS may be used with your set up.
The bottom line is trial and error. The more you learn to control and the less you give over to the camera the happier you will be with your results. This of course is made much easier in the digital era as there is almost instant feedback. If your camera doesn't record your settings keep a slate with you.

From film days, just for my understanding, what sync speed is your camera, 1/60, 1/125, 1/250?

IMG_0702.jpg

f4 @ 1/60

IMG_0591.jpg

f4 @ 1/60

IMG_0597.jpg

f4 @ 1/60

I guess it helps to have blue water to begin with.

N

Last edited:
I used to shoot a housed F4, and my SS was usually 1/125.
Now I shoot a D2x and apply the same rules, but obviously can vary SS up to 1/250.
The fan shot was right at 60 feet.
The crinoid was taken the same day at ~75ft. F8 and I think the water is to dark.

Attachments

• 121708 (1).jpg
    121708 (1).jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 60
  • Edri and Chrin.jpg
    Edri and Chrin.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 65
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom