What's the point of these 3 gas computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

....don't miss seeing the forest for the trees here, don't just focus on the algorithm/switching features.....your computer is a big tech 'no-no' for 2 big reasons...... it's air-integrated, and it's wireless. I've had some limited 'tech' training/classes/trips (cave diving-Akumal Mexico/wreck diving off North Carolina)...and based on my experiences, you are gonna get a lot of pushback from the tech instructors on those 'issues'. In Akumal, I was forbidden to use my 'hosed' AI Oceanic Datamax Pro Plus II...I couldn't even bring it along for the ride, as it were....they 'made me' buy a Diverite wrist mount basic computer instead.
The VT3, like many PDC's, has the options of being wireless air-integrated (it will work just fine as a non-AI computer as well), and apparently of high importance to the tech community, not being a computer at all. For technical diving you can just simply switch it to "gauge mode". Making it a simple depth guage and timer.

Man, they really saw YOU coming, huh?

:shakehead:

......this 'event' took place when I was a very new diver, years ago...so I didn't know a fraction of what I know now, moreover, the tech shop I was with, while highly knowledgable/experienced, was in financial trouble (which only became apparent to me well after the fact, and ended up going out of business a while later)......so, looking back, I did end up buying a fair amount of 'tech' gear, and at high prices too, before our 'relationship' faded/ended......I'm still using/own most of the gear I bought from them, so at least the gear was good quality, if overpriced.

BTW, even way back then, although I was a 'newbie', I wasn't completely stupid.....I understood the reasons for doing all the DIR stuff, and had no problems with that...the only 'recreational diver' thing I wanted to do was be allowed to 'add' my AI hosed computer to the rest of my DIR-set up, just for my own curiosity, even though all gas planning was to be done/monitored via the 'traditional' SPG. At that time I didn't own any plain-jane non-AI computers, so to be DIR-compliant, I bought from them a low-end DR / air-only dive computer...which worked fine at the time, but was later sold when I switched to being a mainly NITROX diver.

....don't miss seeing the forest for the trees here, don't just focus on the algorithm/switching features.....your computer is a big tech 'no-no' for 2 big reasons...... it's air-integrated, and it's wireless.
It may be a big "tech" no-no as an AI computer, but there's no reason why it can't be a "tech" yes-yes when it's used in Gauge Mode. The person already has a computer that can act as a bottom timer in Gauge Mode. I doubt that it work any less efficient than a regular plain jane bottom timer.

The 'issue' from a technical perspective is that AI introduces more failure points...and is unlikely to be as streamlined and 'stowable'...plus, if wearing stages etc.... too much critical dive information is going to be tucked away and clipped off at the end of your hose....not on your wrist where you need it.

Have to ask - can you have the AI transmitter on the right post pointing down toward the tank and use the SPG (left post) clipped to your left D-ring. With the SPG being the primary means of obtaining pressure; doesn't having two systems make any sense? I see redundant everything else; what is a transmitter going to do harm if it is out of the way?

Have to ask - can you have the AI transmitter on the right post pointing down toward the tank and use the SPG (left post) clipped to your left D-ring. With the SPG being the primary means of obtaining pressure; doesn't having two systems make any sense? I see redundant everything else; what is a transmitter going to do harm if it is out of the way?
The answer from a technical standpoint, as it pertains to how most of the transmitters operate, is no. Or, marginal at best. If you point the transmitter down, parallel to the tank, the signal would be radiating towards the tank and the divers back, not toward the front, where a divers arm and receiver would be. Someone else with tech-diver training would have to answer whether or not using a wireless transmitter in conjunction with a standard SPG is kosher or not.

I've never seen anybody using a wireless transmitter on a technical dive. Although I suppose you could there rally is no need for it. Spg's hardly ever break and you should always have a pretty good idea of your gas before you even look at the spg.

Some possible issues: Do you just put a transmitter on your backgas or on deco bottles as well? how does the computer react when doing a valve drill and the pressure it is reading goes to zero?
What about diving sidemount? A transmitter on each tank? Again,what does the computer do when one tanks pressure does not change for many minutes? How about scooters? Will the motor interfere with the wireless signal?
Lots of potential problems with no upside.

If you point the transmitter down, parallel to the tank, the signal would be radiating towards the tank and the divers back, not toward the front, where a divers arm and receiver would be.

FYI - in practical application that's nonsense.

Someone else with tech-diver training would have to answer whether or not using a wireless transmitter in conjunction with a standard SPG is kosher or not.

My opinion is that it would add another (very real) failure point, at no real benefit.

There is no requirement for redundancy of an SPG.

The 'issue' from a technical perspective is that AI introduces more failure points...and is unlikely to be as streamlined and 'stowable'...plus, if wearing stages etc.... too much critical dive information is going to be tucked away and clipped off at the end of your hose....not on your wrist where you need it.

Huh? How can there be a failure point "issue" if the computer is being used in Gauge Mode? It's a puck worn on your wrist. How is that a hindrance as far as streamlining and stowability goes? It's not any bigger than a bottom timer.

The guy already has the VT3 computer AND it can be used as a bottom timer. Why should he go out and spend another hundred/two hundred dollars on another bottom timer?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom