What's the point of GUE Factors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be surprised too..but look at the OP's quote - he sounds like the fundies book he has is calling it a GUE Factor.

I am reading “Getting Clear on the Basics: The Fundamentals of Technical Diving” by Jarrod Jablonski, and have a question on the GUE Factor. What was the point?
The point is to try and make up for the shortcomings of the Imperial system of measurements.

GUE, UTD, NTEC - all have tank factors in their training. I don't think I've seen any of them try to claim simple calculation as their own creation.

Taken from the mentioned text:

Attachments

• guefactor.jpg
    guefactor.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 109
Calling it something other than what it is - a "Tank Factor" just adds confusion - as evidenced by this thread.

I agree tank factors are the greatest thing since sliced bread when it comes to figuring reserves with dissimilar tank sizes on the fly, I just think it was a little childish of JJ to decide to call it a "GUE Factor".

I just spent a week diving dissimilar tanks in caves -- using tank factors made it extremely easy to determine who was the controlling diver from a gas standpoint, and then also made it easy to figure turn pressures for everybody, based on the controlling diver's volume.

I don't know about you, but I can multiply and divide by 7 in my head, but not by 2640 . . .

Do we really care what somebody CALLS the concept?

It depends. If we are diving together and figuring a turn pressure with dissimilar tanks, and I mention "tank factor" and you go "Huh?"because you were taught the term "GUE Factor", or vice versa, a few minutes of unneccesary confusion and clarification are going to result that could have been avoided had our respective agencies had both used the terminology already in common use.

The only impact of changing the term to "GUE Factor" is to set GUE divers apart, they are having a hard enough time living that down already. Change just for the sake of change or just to be different is not a good thing.

I am not familiar with, nor have I read, the book the OP refers to in this thread. I took Fundies two weeks ago and I never heard the tank factor referred to as the GUE factor. Throughout the week long class it was always referred to as the tank factor.

I don't have my GUE notes in front of me at this moment as I'm in London, on business, but I absolutely do not recall it ever being referred to as the GUE factor. The tank factors are great for quick calculations.

I'm with you, Sam. I've taken a bunch of GUE classes, and we always called them tank factors.

"Tank factors" in my GUE-F class 2 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom