What's the most wonderful thing you've seen on a surface interval?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After a cold first dive on the Peace Boat out of Ventura, they had a hot vat of fresh homemade split pea soup (my favorite soup) ready for us on the surface interval. Mmmmm....

I recently did an S.I. on a beach in Malaysia; I managed a bit of snorkelling as I waited for lunch to turn up.
Suddenly about a dozen blacktip sharks arrived, coming into about a metre of water to investigate.
They moved like silk, so graceful it was almost like a dance.
I just stood among them popping my head in and out of the water, the way they changed direction in an instant was mesmerising.

It certainly beats the S.I. that I did when I was seasick and spent sucking up diesel fumes on a choppy sea.

Thanks for this great thread!

Rach xx

What's your best SI experience?

Short ones...on Bonaire...filled with dreams of the next dive!
WarmDry.jpg

Or running back to my room...at the Blue Lagoon Resort...for a longer SI
View3.JPG

Or helping one of the crew members on the Truk Odyssey fix his split fins...
Todd2.JPG

Feeding Mini Banana's to the resident turtle off the back diving platform of a Liveaboard in the Similan Island's Thailand...

Snorkelling for 2.5 hours off North Caicos Island with Jojo the wild dolphin who likes to swim and play with people.
http://www.geographia.com/Turks-Caicos/jojo/index.htm

Or seeing 4 orca whales off Quadra Island, BC, surfacing and diving, surfacing and diving.

One day on a SI in Utilia, Honduras we snorkeled with two separate gigantic (40-50ft?) whale sharks that were absolutely majestic in the water. On the same SI we swam with a playful pod of dolphin (enjoying their extraordinary songs), and then on the way back to the shop slipped in the water with a pod of Pilot whales that quickly swam away. It was an incredible day!

Another time in Bunakan Sulawesi Indonesia we enjoyed watching a spectacular Thresher Shark jump over and over right next to the boat.

Last edited:
Hmmmm seen humpbacks, dwarf minnke and pilot whales, dolphins including bottlenose, spinners and rizzos, a HUGE turtle that just swam around under the dive deck waiting for its photo to be taken...

... but the oddest SI for which sadly I was not present was a few months ago when a random lady swam over from the beach where our dive boat was moored, clambered up the ladder and then leapt off the dive deck only to surface a few seconds later stark naked, having " accidentally" lost her bikini. She then began to - ahem - massage the front portions of her chest and asked if there was anybody on the boat who would keep her warm....

Some days, you just can't make this stuff up! :D

C.

Watching the volcano Karengetang puffing away atop Pulau Siau, in the Sangihe Archipelago, north of Bangka, then swimming in the HOT!!!! shoreline pools below it.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom