What's the most solid reg for the best price?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oceanic GT3 w CDX5 first stage. I've had mine to 155 feet, 38 degree water, and under the ice. And it's around 250 bucks if you look around. Get one minus the DVT- cheaper and not needed anyway.
I agree, great choice.

I'm glad you weren't offended! Sometimes I am blunt...

Where are you heading in SE Asia? I lived in Singapore for 16 months or so and dove around Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand and the Maldives. Best time of my life!

Richard

This trip is starting in Apo Islands in the Philippines - he;ll stick around for 2 weeks of mellow reef diving - then I have 8 more weeks to play!!!

Now I'm deciding if I can afford a week stop in Palau-- before heading to Palau Wehn, then back to Lembeh Straights/probably a few days in Bunakan again & then hopefully Komodo, deffinately back to Bali and my final day in Singapore :D. Doing it all on a budget (my third extended budget dive trip in the area) . It is fantastic.

so not entirely sure about Palau - but Ive heard it's worth the splurge!

Oopps I'm hijacking my own thread :D

:focus:

Thanks for the reg advice so far. I's really usefull!

I agree that if you are already diving ScubaPro, get him a MK2+/R190 that you can use as a pony/deco/backup reg if anything ever happens. Otherwise, the AL Titan LX/LX Supreme, Oceanic GT3/CDX5, or any of the Sherwood regs would be excellent choices for the occassional diver.

Scubapro MK2 Plus/R190 Regulator, Black

Leisurepro has a used Scubapro Mk2/R190 for $125, or brand new for $150.

They also have the Oceanic GT3 CDX5 DVT for $199, which is $50 less than the non-DVT model. They even have an open box one for $175, which Leisurepro will put a 2 year warranty on.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/Cate.../DescSort_0/Filter_1=438/OCNGT3DVT.html?Hit=1

The Mk2 is bulletproof and cheap to service, however it's unbalanced so the deeper you go, the harder it gets to breath. Not bad if he's only going to do shallow reefs, but what about that one time during the trip you hit a wreck at 100' or so? Might as well get the Oceanic GT3 CDX5 DVT(my god that's a long name) since it's so cheap and balanced, so it will breath the same at 100' as at 20'. It even has an environmental seal, which is a nice little bit of insurance for cold weather diving(although at 48* you're not going to have problems anyway).

Looking through their octopi selection, you should be able to grab another 2nd stage for $60 and up.

Check with Scuba Toys also. Leisurepro usually has great deals but I've found Scuba Toys to sometimes beat them by a few dollars or so.......

This trip is starting in Apo Islands in the Philippines - he;ll stick around for 2 weeks of mellow reef diving - then I have 8 more weeks to play!!!

Hijack accomplice...:)

Now I'm deciding if I can afford a week stop in Palau-- before heading to Palau Wehn, then back to Lembeh Straights/probably a few days in Bunakan again & then hopefully Komodo, deffinately back to Bali and my final day in Singapore :D. Doing it all on a budget (my third extended budget dive trip in the area) . It is fantastic.

so not entirely sure about Palau - but Ive heard it's worth the splurge!

Oopps I'm hijacking my own thread :D

:focus:

Thanks for the reg advice so far. I's really usefull!

You know already that Palau is way more expensive than all the other places mentioned, but for the big stuff, yeah it can be good. I just got back from a week in Puerto Galera and you'll never find that kind of diversity or healthy coral in Palau though the biggest thing I saw was one old turtle.

Doing Palau on a budget has it's problems. It can be done in some respects, but right now I don't think there is a way around the $500-$600 airfare. Last I checked Asian Spirit pulled out which only leaves Continental to Manila like twice a week without a stop in Guam and a lot of lost time. Guess it depends how you're getting home. I like Sams tours there but their prices have gotten a bit out of line, try Neco Divers.

My guess is a budget week in Palau would still be over a thousand bucks plus airfare.

Hi there,

I;d love some advice I really want to get my guy a new reg (he;d is a very occasional diver). Most likely he;ll only dive 10 times a year or much less, but might occasionally venture into our local 48 degree water if I twist his arm.

Atomic Z2 with the Environmental Seal kit.

It's not very expensive, performs great, won't freeze up in cold water and has a 2 year service interval.

I've had my Z1 for about 6 years and it's been flawless.

Terry

Ok, my pick is the Apeks DS4 XTX50. Can be had for about $350, more than some of the others mentioned but one hell of a reg for the money. I agree that since you have ScubaPro that kinda makes sense too.

Last edited:
I agree with some of the comments above get YOURSELF a backup reg, something you would use and let him BORROW it when he dives with you.

I agree with the statement about buying yourself another regulator but I wouldn't consider buying a backup to make it cheaper. That is a compromise and you'd probably avoid using the regulator yourself but let your buddy use it. Instead look for a upgrade to your own gear something that you want to try and let your buddy use your old gear that you know is reliable.
That said althought the Oceanic GT3 is a good performing reliable reg my favorite is the next step up the Delta 4 FDX10. The FDX10 first stage is a better choice for reliable cold water performance and the Delta 4 is a great breather. IMHO with sale pricing that has been available the Delta 4 is the best value available and the performance is only second to the EOS (which uses the same first stage) by a hardly noticable margin.

Back
Top Bottom