Whats the least expensive atoll? with decent diving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nuts4corals

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been reading alot on this forum and many people have directed me, which I am thankful for. However, I am finding the pricing to be quite high so perhaps I am looking under the wrong dock :) was ready to book today only to find a resort i was looking at had hidden fees and taxes that drove the cost upwards of 30% above listed web prices. Yikes!

Here is what i am looking for:
1. all inclusive accommodation for one
2. all meals
3. dive package of 15 dives
4. boat transfer to the atoll from Belize city preferably as that is where I will arrive.
5. planning march 2018

as for diving I am looking for:
1. 40-70 ft deep dives
2. fish and corals on reef
3. perhaps add on a day trip to lighthouse?

Names of resorts/atolls/cays highly appreciated. experiences super!

They all have better than decent diving.

The atoll resorts tend to be expensive because they're small and remote. But you get a fair bang for your buck when you consider you won't have to, or even be able to, spend any money while you're there. Still, your costs are going to be higher than if you stay on Ambergris Caye or Placencia. Hopkins, not so much if you stay at Hamanasi because it's pretty expensive also.

Having said that, Huracan Diving Lodge on Long Caye, right next to Lighthouse, offers a very good no frills value. You might scroll through the threads here, probably a couple of pages down, for reviews. One of our forum members, Stoo, goes there pretty much every year and raves about the place as well as the value.

Traveling solo adds a lot of expense to a resort/dive package because most pricing is based on double occupancy and you are likely to be charged a hefty single supplement, sometimes as much as 60% or more above the double occupancy price.

Just to add another dimension to the discussion, have you considered a liveaboard trip? There are 2 Aggressor liveaboards that depart from Belize City. They are not cheap but they are all-inclusive, and you will can get in a lot of dives for the money and visit some of the best, most pristine dive sites. If you are traveling solo but indicate a willingness to share a cabin with a same-gender roommate you will get the double occupancy rate - and if the boat doesn't book up - you might get the cabin to yourself at the lower rate, but no guarantees.

I imagine that you wouldn't want to wait much longer to book a March trip, but just an FYI, for the last few years Aggressor has been offering an anniversary special in Jan-Feb for greater than 30% off. So if you still haven't found a vacation destination by then, it might be something to consider.

@drrich2 did an extensive report of his solo trip on the Belize Aggressor IV (formerly called the Sun Dancer 2) see the link below:
Diving Belize via Sun Dancer 2 May 2nd - 9th

Last edited:
Do a liveaboard. Perfect for a solo traveler wanting to get a bunch of amazing dives in. Just got back from the Belize Aggressor IV about 2 weeks ago and it was an amazing trip. All morning dives were just us out there. A few boats from the resorts would show up around 10-11 at some sites.

Not knowing what the resorts are charging. The single person cost(Willing to share a room) on the Aggressor IV with the 30% off mentioned above was about $2200 + Nitrox($100)/Port Fee(~$100)/Tips + Flight.

Definately not going to do livaboards this time around. hurracan is waybout there 62 miles from shore and pretty expensive imho for what you get after you consider all of the additional fees and getting there. i priced it out and door to door with all transfers door to door amd taxes/fees coming to $3200 ouch.

Thank you for this info Ralph... this place is definitely interesting... i do camp,hike,fish am an avid outdoors man so I'm sure I would feel right at home. and i don't see much of a difference between this place and some of the other atolls I have seen since they too have eco style accommodation at a far greater price.

I have paddled over to this place on Glovers, and to say it is very basic would be an understatement, and it doesn't compare to the other eco accommodations on Glovers and other atolls that I've seen. Single traveler and want a less than Gilligan's Island experience for vacation, it may be right up your alley. Not sure who provides the dive services there? I'd look into pretty hard to make sure it is right for you.
So you know where my rating scale shakes out - I work wildlife law enforcement for a living and have slept in places that would make a pack rat sick.

no... I don't necessarily want a "less than Gilligan's Island experience for vacation" lol.... :D

I wasn't even looking for this type of trip at all. My search started when i began to plan a trip to Thailand and was told on this forum that 9 days is just too short for that. so scraped that and started to look at places that I haven't dove. closer... >>> belize is one. I started my search at Amergris as I am sure most do when they know nothing about Belize. after some much reading and lurking on this forum I started searching atolls out in lighthouse reef but soon realized that the total cost is absurd for the offering and the time and hassle needed to get there from NY is just nuts. what did me in was realizing that tourists get taxed somewhere around 31.5% between the belizian tax, hotel tax and some additional "service" tax. without mentioning any names of specific eco resorts I got disgusted with the whole belize idea but found Ralph Capeling's post about Glovers interesting. However, I would not go out there unless I has a satelite phone to communicate and you are 100% right about the dive OP. it would be at the top of my list of concerns. to say the least I am now looking at going back to Cozumel (a place I dove before). Perhaps one day I may return and look at diving Belize when traveling here isn't such a PITA to get from door to door and prices are fair. that wont happen until more resorts build in these remote places though so I am not holding my breath. Having said all of that, out of all of the eco style places i looked at Glovers is cool. The others are eco on life support IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom