What's the latest for those with ear equalization issues?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1LE

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Been working on my OW for the last couple years or so on and off. I've been able to battle my way down to the bottom of the pool but it's always a challenge. Not comfortable enough to attempt the quarry dives.

Related: I no longer fly commercial at all as they bounce the air pressure MUCH faster than I can equalize and I was often as not ending up in extreme pain despite my best efforts to clear. Light non-pressurized airplanes I can do OK as long as they don't go very high as the descent rates are more reasonable.

Wondering what the state of the art is as far as medical procedures that might be available to correct this issue.

Be aware of reverse blocks - the inability to equalise on ascent. You may be more prone to this.

OK, looking at the DAN info on-line it doesn't look like it's worth continuing at this time. Maybe I'll try again in a few years and see if there are any changes in medical technology.

Thanks!

OK, looking at the DAN info on-line it doesn't look like it's worth continuing at this time. Maybe I'll try again in a few years and see if there are any changes in medical technology.

Thanks!
Probably correct, but no harm in calling DAN to discuss before giving up.

Agree about checking with DAN. If you have allergies, chronic sinusitis/nasal congestion the 'may' be medical approaches to your problem. I'm going to assume you've already spent time reviewing equalization techniques and spent LOTS of time practicing. Good technique is critical for those somewhat compromised.

Having said that if you have that much trouble on commercial flights, you are likely stuck with snorkeling. A few feet of water is equivalent to a lot of vertical in air. Remember, 33' of water is 1 atmosphere > ALL the air pressure from the surface to space.

I would recommend that you go see a good ENT doctor and see if there are any physical problems(could be multiple) preventing you from equalizing. If no go practice if yes deal with the physical issue.

Tips for clearing your ears while scuba diving
Alternative Clearing Techniques
There are problems with the traditional Valsalva maneuver: It may not work if the tubes are already locked by a pressure differential, and it's all too easy to blow hard enough to damage something. Divers who experience difficulty equalizing may find it helpful to master some alternative techniques.

Toynbee Maneuver. With your nostrils pinched or blocked against your mask skirt, swallow. Swallowing pulls open your eustachian tubes while the movement of your tongue, with your nose closed, compresses air against them.

Lowry Technique. A combination of Valsalva and Toynbee: while closing your nostrils, blow and swallow at the same time.

Edmonds Technique. While tensing the soft palate and throat muscles and pushing the jaw forward and down, do a Valsalva Maneuver.

Frenzel Maneuver. Close your nostrils, and close the back of your throat as if straining to lift a weight. Then make the sound of the letter "K." This forces the back of your tongue upwards, compressing air against the openings of your eustachian tubes.

Voluntary Tubal Opening. Tense the muscles of the soft palate and the throat while pushing the jaw forward and down as if starting to yawn. These muscles pull the eustachian tubes open. This requires a lot of practice, but some divers can learn to control those muscles and hold their tubes open for continuous equalization.

Yup, I'm watching the results about the balloon thing as well. Since my practice is mainly pediatric, I haven't started doing it myself, but I have referred one diver to a colleague who does them. The data is early and evolving, and there are some remote (but serious) potential risks - the internal carotid artery to the brain runs right near the ET. However, in selected cases, this might turn out to be helpful.

Here is a great list of alternative equalization techniques.

Been working on my OW for the last couple years or so on and off. I've been able to battle my way down to the bottom of the pool but it's always a challenge. Not comfortable enough to attempt the quarry dives.

Related: I no longer fly commercial at all as they bounce the air pressure MUCH faster than I can equalize and I was often as not ending up in extreme pain despite my best efforts to clear. Light non-pressurized airplanes I can do OK as long as they don't go very high as the descent rates are more reasonable.

Wondering what the state of the art is as far as medical procedures that might be available to correct this issue.
As someone who has had significant, life-long allergies to a S-Ton of environmental factors, the chronic congestion made commercial flying difficult at times. I finally got tired of being the snot-dripping, eye-watering, dopey pile of goo in the corner for months out of a year and got on allergy shots about a decade ago. Life-changing is in no way an over-statement. If chronic allergies are a factor for you, you might want to look into that as an option. Without the constant spikes of irritation, things seem to "relax" overall.

Yup, I'm watching the results about the balloon thing as well. Since my practice is mainly pediatric, I haven't started doing it myself, but I have referred one diver to a colleague who does them. The data is early and evolving, and there are some remote (but serious) potential risks - the internal carotid artery to the brain runs right near the ET. However, in selected cases, this might turn out to be helpful.

Here is a great list of alternative equalization techniques.
When my son was having problems figuring out how to equalize, I found a couple of really good videos that were a little more approachable than the written explanations:

The first is from a South African, DAN doctor that covers the physiology and range of techniques:

The second one is a freediver, he goes in great detail on how to execute the Frenzel technique including how to SEE if you are doing it correctly:

Hopefully, they may be helpful for somebody stumbling across this thread who is having issues ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom