What's the currently best dive shop in Barbados as of Nov2022?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TNEngineer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We're doing a family cruise trip over New Years and we have one day on Barbados. We've dived there before but it was pre-COVID and it appears the dive shop we used then - which was excellent - is now closed.

We have four certified divers looking for a nice 2-3 tank day. Anyone know who is considered the best dive shop right now? We make our own arrangements before such trips so the dive shop gets 100% of the money and we have a closer relationship with them.

Any advice appreciated... thanks!

I will be on a cruise ship stop in Barbados next month, and I've booked my diving with West Side Scuba. This is my first time to Barbados, so I can't speak to how good they are, but they have complimentary pickup and drop-off and reasonably priced. I'm using this cruise itinerary to sample some new locations with an eye towards a future dive trip.

Our last Barbados LDS had pickup/dropoff too (we always tip the driver even if it's "included"). And like you, we sort of use cruises as something like a Whitman's Sampler to find islands we want to spend 1-2 weeks on later. So far that's yielded lengthy stays on Bonaire and Aruba, with Barbados and Roatan on the list.

For now, we're just getting one day on Barbados. We had a spectacular time on our last visit, doing a two-dive morning that turned into a Lion Safari hunting lionfish for the locals to spear.

I'll check into West Side Scuba. Thanks for the tip!

I have been diving with Barbados Blue for more than 15 years once or twice a year. The staff are great and the third dive of the day is in the marine park and although not deep you will usually see some interesting things. They insist if you have not been in the water for more than a year that you do a pool refresher so you would only get the afternoon dive. They do pick up and drop off at the cruise ship dock. Contact Oschelle in the shop on What's App and she will sort you out

Thanks for the tip on Barbados Blue. My wife and I last dove in June, several days in the Caribbean. Our two grown children last dove in January, a Manta Ray night dive off Kona Hawaii. Hopefully that would satisfy their concerns about recent diving.

I don't use WhatsApp but I'll reach out to Barbados Blue via whatever contact data they offer on their website... thank you!

Emails sent to both shops. Waiting for responses!

I have had decent experience with Barbados Blue (they tend to repeat sites, but that should not be an issue for you) and Hightide Watersports (my goto spot when I was staying in Holetown for a work meeting).

So far we've heard back from Andre of Barbados Blue. He's suggesting the Marine Park as our second of two dives. I've asked if we can do it as a third dive per the comments above.

The marine park is fun, although people with uh, less than perfect, buoyancy can kick up a lot of sand.

We've heard back from both shops now.

West Side (WS) provides surface transportation to/from the cruise terminal. Barbados Blue (BB) appears to require you to find your own way to their shop.

WS requires payment in cash. BB doesn't specify but implies CC is acceptable.

BB will only do two dives, one of which is the marina which appears to be "nice" but more like a shallow house reef dive. WS says a third dive may be possible depending upon conditions and to "bring some extra cash" to cover a third dive if it happens.

I was leaning toward BB but other than the cash requirement (which doesn't bother me) WS seems better. They handle surface transportation which saves us having to find a taxi and explain where we need to go, and there's at least the chance of a third dive.

Opinions? Is there a strong reason to favor BB given the above?

Back
Top Bottom