what's the current recommendation of p&s camera (with uw housing)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many people are loving this new Olympus Pen set up with the Olympus case and strobe

Is there a version of this advice for someone who wants a heavy-use vacation camera that can be thrown into a housing for UW pics, but not high tech and a little lower budget?

I had a Canon ELPH SD-800 with the Canon WP-DC9 housing and it as perfect. Until I let my 11 year old niece use it! After the camera flooded and I bought another used one on Ebay, which lasted two months, I decided I need to buy new. But I'm hoping to spend more in the $300 to $400 range for the whole rig, use the camera almost every day, and use the UW housing just a few times a year.

Any suggestions?

Is there a version of this advice for someone who wants a heavy-use vacation camera that can be thrown into a housing for UW pics, but not high tech and a little lower budget?

I had a Canon ELPH SD-800 with the Canon WP-DC9 housing and it as perfect. Until I let my 11 year old niece use it! After the camera flooded and I bought another used one on Ebay, which lasted two months, I decided I need to buy new. But I'm hoping to spend more in the $300 to $400 range for the whole rig, use the camera almost every day, and use the UW housing just a few times a year.

Any suggestions?

i think at that price range your only choice could be the intova ic10, 10megapix camera

Reef Photo has a bundle for barely 400$ consisting of a Nikon Coolpix L22 with the coressponding Ikelite housing.
A nice deal too...

Chris

well im now in the market for a replacement..15 minutes into kayaking i capsized and the camera in its housing on my lap never surfaced, which is puzzling because i have seen it float before. uunless somehow the o-ring failed. visibility in the water was about 45cm...so i will dive tomorrow to try and find it, otherwise i guess im in the Market for something new.

my camera is/was just a DSC-P8 with the sony marine housing.

Has anyone used the Canon SD940? That is one of the models reviewed the very helpful article linked by Peter Guy.

Back
Top Bottom