what's the current recommendation of p&s camera (with uw housing)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Double O-rings on housing door to prevent leaks

I don't have experience with housings with double o-rings, but I have had bad, bad experiences with air cylinders where double o-rings caused failures. It's easy to market something with double o-rings as being more reliable because it has twice as many seals, but my experience has been that two o-rings in a row creates a pressure trap, and neither o-ring will sit properly in the o-ring groove.

Have other people had the experience that double o-rings increase reliability on underwater camera housings?

Nemrod, the G11 has a back control ring doing the same things as the front control ring of the S90, except the functions of the additional dials the G11 has.
The G11 has dedicated dials for ISO, +2/-2 EV and the operation mode (as the S90 too) and i was talking about them, but i may was unclear with "external controls".

Chris

I don't have experience with housings with double o-rings, but I have had bad, bad experiences with air cylinders where double o-rings caused failures. It's easy to market something with double o-rings as being more reliable because it has twice as many seals, but my experience has been that two o-rings in a row creates a pressure trap, and neither o-ring will sit properly in the o-ring groove.

Have other people had the experience that double o-rings increase reliability on underwater camera housings?

I've had both, and obviously if you have a clean, new o-ring, they both work.

What I have seen with double o-rings is the combination of a square with a round, in a sort of notched area. I used a case with that combination for something over 300 dives without replacing the orings (then I gave it to someone else to use). I like the technology.

Nemrod, the G11 has a back control ring doing the same things as the front control ring of the S90, except the functions of the additional dials the G11 has.
The G11 has dedicated dials for ISO, +2/-2 EV and the operation mode (as the S90 too) and i was talking about them, but i may was unclear with "external controls".

Chris

I think I follow you on that, thanks. What I am saying is that in manual mode the S90 allows direct control via two serrate rotary knobs without button pushing. As well in Av mode, as an example, the front ring can be set for +/- exposure compensation and the rear dial handles f stop. Again, no button pushing, two separate rotary controls. The G11 has more controls granted but it is missing one of the rotary control rings, namely the front one vs the S90.

But, I follow what you are saying, thanks for clarifying, I understand :blinking:.

N

Thanks for your replies. I think I'll get the Canon S90 and the Canon WP-DC35 case, for its smaller size for topside use, and the internal flash as someone commented it's better for UW use than the G11.

I think it'll be good enough for getting started. but I do think I'll get external strobe later on. As the S90 doesn't have a hot shoe, I'm curious how is the strobe connected to the Canon UW case, and how is it fired?

You have to connect the strobe with a optical cable or using a reflector bouncing the flash up to the slave strobe's sensor, depending what strobe it is/will be.

Chris

Thanks for your replies. I think I'll get the Canon S90 and the Canon WP-DC35 case, for its smaller size for topside use, and the internal flash as someone commented it's better for UW use than the G11.

I think it'll be good enough for getting started. but I do think I'll get external strobe later on. As the S90 doesn't have a hot shoe, I'm curious how is the strobe connected to the Canon UW case, and how is it fired?

I think you will be pleased with the results.. hardly a starter camera.

This was shot last week with one:

Nudi704.jpg

With no add on lens...just macro and lighting....

Nobody but a few diehards and some dSLR people shoot with a hot shoe connection. Almost all P&S and many dSLRs use optical triggering for their strobes.

If you get the S90 with the DC35 housing then also purchase the Inon adapter kit and that will solve your strobe connection as well as allowing you to mount Inon macro and wide angle lenses.

N

Nobody but a few diehards and some dSLR people shoot with a hot shoe connection. Almost all P&S and many dSLRs use optical triggering for their strobes.

If you get the S90 with the DC35 housing then also purchase the Inon adapter kit and that will solve your strobe connection as well as allowing you to mount Inon macro and wide angle lenses.

N

thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind when I'm ready to go to the next step. Now I'll try to learn to get the best of the s90/uw setup. I'm looking forward to taking some pictures UW, not just taking them at aquariums :wink:

Marine Aquarium Fishes Photo Gallery by Yue Jason Chen at pbase.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom