What's the brand to get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank:
Side Note: Beware, folks that subscribe to DIR and Hogarthian ideals will have a VERY fixed recommendation as to what you should dive, and how to set it up. There is NO choice on configuration with this group. There is nothing wrong with this, but be aware that 90%+ of the worlds divers are not diving these configurations to the degree that a true DIR diver would suggest. I know tech divers that subscribe to some but not all of thier methods.

That's not a fair statement. It's true that DIR dives a specific configuration with little choice in set up. However, Hogarthian is not that strict. Hogarthian is about simplicity, not about a specific set up. The basic principle is that if you don't need it on the dive, then don't take it. How is that VERY fixed?

Voit, Nemrod and U.S. Divers. N

Dive-aholic:
That's not a fair statement. It's true that DIR dives a specific configuration with little choice in set up. However, Hogarthian is not that strict. Hogarthian is about simplicity, not about a specific set up. The basic principle is that if you don't need it on the dive, then don't take it. How is that VERY fixed?

You are right, I should not have lumped Hogarthian in with DIR just because it was at the root of the foundation as shown here from the GUE page:

"Rather than provide divers with an objective standard to assemble their configuration, Hogarthianism offers a loosely knitted set of ideas that, in the interest of diver efficiency, promotes an ethos of careful gear selection. However, this lack of an objective standard does not permit divers to understand what exactly constitutes a Hogarthian diving configuration; instead this "system" varies according to how different advocates of Hogarthian diving see the links tying together equipment, streamlining and efficiency....Eventually it became clear that both a more complete system and greater standardization were needed; to be as useful as possible, the components of the system would need to be objectively arrived at and standardized. George Irvine and I, having worked extensively with the Hogarthian system, and having written extensively about it, worked toward this new paradigm. This new paradigm emerged as Doing It Right or DIR."

RonFrank:
You are right, I should not have lumped Hogarthian in with DIR just because it was at the root of the foundation as shown here from the GUE page:

"Rather than provide divers with an objective standard to assemble their configuration, Hogarthianism offers a loosely knitted set of ideas that, in the interest of diver efficiency, promotes an ethos of careful gear selection. However, this lack of an objective standard does not permit divers to understand what exactly constitutes a Hogarthian diving configuration; instead this "system" varies according to how different advocates of Hogarthian diving see the links tying together equipment, streamlining and efficiency....Eventually it became clear that both a more complete system and greater standardization were needed; to be as useful as possible, the components of the system would need to be objectively arrived at and standardized. George Irvine and I, having worked extensively with the Hogarthian system, and having written extensively about it, worked toward this new paradigm. This new paradigm emerged as Doing It Right or DIR."

Did you read this statement? Hogarthian wasn't standardized enough so it was changed.

So many good brands. All suggestions here are good. Go to your LDS and find out what they carry. Ask lots of questions. Take your time. Try the BCD's on. You can also get some help by looking up reports on http://www.scubadiving,com.

Thanks for the help guys! I will keep your suggestions in mind! I may have to take you up on your offer Dive-aholic! Thanks for the invite!
-john

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom