Whats the best placement for a lift bag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I had both a drysuit and wing inflator failure I'd send the bag up on a spool/reel line and use the line to help with ascent if needed. I wouldn't attach it to myself inflated though.

Joe

Jonny_Rocket:
The thing with attatching it to your scooter ring is what if the dump fails or doesn't dump fast enough? By the time you take out a cutting tool you've already took a ride you know?
You can use the same argument about your wing or your dry suit, what if your dump valve fails and your power inflator gets stuck and your valve doesn't dump fast enough and so on..
You practice a couple of those ascends in a controlled environment and then you become good.. it works really well with an CC lift bag for me.. your mileage may vary.. :)

Sideband:
If I had both a drysuit and wing inflator failure I'd send the bag up on a spool/reel line and use the line to help with ascent if needed. I wouldn't attach it to myself inflated though.

Joe
Maybe I misunderstood what you're saying but have you ever tried swimming up with a set of doubles and stages without any kind of bouyancy device? I myself can't do it.. even with a set of 104's and nothing else..

I can swim up my st 100s with an al 30... Remember whatever air is compressed in your wing will start to expand after a few feet...

jacek:
Maybe I misunderstood what you're saying but have you ever tried swimming up with a set of doubles and stages without any kind of bouyancy device? I myself can't do it.. even with a set of 104's and nothing else..

Use the line to pull yourself up. Kick and reel.

Joe

Sideband:
Use the line to pull yourself up. Kick and reel.

Joe

I agree. I would just tie off the line to what ever I am at though and cut the line off the reel. Then I can kick and pull with both hands. I feel you should be able to swim your rig up, if you can't then get a lighter rig or what ever you need to be able to do it.

As far as what I carry: I keep a 50lb sausage mounted to the bottom of my back plate. And clip a 100lb carter bag to my right d-ring with my reel as John metioned above. Once I get around to gluing pockets to my drysuit I will keep the bag and a finger spool in a pocket with my reel clipped to my right d-ring.

Please remeber the above just MY opinion. And as everyone knows opionions are like a*#@*#s, everyone has one and they all stink. The only person who can tell you what is best for you is yourself.

Take care!
Ben

Back
Top Bottom