Whats the best mask for People with facial hair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Mares ESA mask and love it.... It did not leak at all when I had the mustache...

I decided to shave the mustache recently cause plucking all the gray hairs, started to hurt. (lol)

My very low volume Sporasub Spartak has worked exceptionally well with my facial hair but it may have been discontinued. Also, vaseline will degrade the silicone on a mask, silicone would do the trick without the harm.
chuck

is the mask that I use and have had great luck with it. Still a little once in a while but some dives I actually get a reverse squeeze. I trim a little under my nose and keep a tube of cheap lip balm (Chap-Stik) in my mask case. Right before the dive while gearing up I put some on the 'stache and it usually makes a good enough seal.

Wildbill:cop_2:

Hey guys and maybe some women
you may not have answered lpressley question but you have answered mine and gave me some great advice with barbers wax or chap stick. Being a new diver I have found that yes the mask fit great in the store, great seal , fit the whole nine yards but under water my stash seems to make my mask leak just a tiny bit.
Thank to every one for the ideas and hints

lpressley:
I have used various masks. I have not used a purge mask. has anyone had any experience with a mask they like?
I have also been told that some people use vasoline to help seal.
Do NOT use vaseline. Try shaving just a little bit of the stache under the nose so the mask skirt has a place to seal properly, it doesn't take much and no it won't look funny and it does work.

The people who are claiming a mask fits in the store, but leaks in the water:

Just a point to remember - always test your mask in the store by wearing a regulator or snorkel mouthpiece. Obviously your face is a different shape with your mouth open than closed.

I have a full beard and moustache, and do not trim or grease.
I have tried many masks over the years, but I found that for me, the best sealing one is the good old Tusa Liberator+.

I have a mustache and full beard. The bought a Ocean Master Z2 The seal around my mustache and beard is amazing. If any water does seep in I just blow lightly through my nose and the purge on the mask takes care of that problem. Trimming a little under your nose also helps.

I also use the Tusa Liberator... best sealing mask that I have found. But I also shave about 3/16" of an inch below my nose. I like the look (no more "push broom" jokes) and I love the seal. Vaseline and the other gooks and gels tend to get on the face plate and distort your view or in your eyes and ruin your fun. Plus some of that stuff can turn your mask to crud!

The three most important factors in choosing a mask are;

1. Fit
2. FIT
3. FIT!

Check fit both with and without a regulator in your mouth.
Also try doing movements that you do while diving. I often smile or laugh during a dive and some masks do better at these times than others.

I am happy with my Cressi Big Eyes, but even with that I found one model year mask to fit much better than the newer models that were on the shelf in the dive shop.

I also find that the KM EXO-26 does not leak on my face using my Henderson TriLam hood. If it did leak I would have first switched to the KM hood that is made to match the EXO.
I also never had a leak problem in the Superlite 17. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom