What's the best IDC in the Caribbean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shallingsam

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I currently live in Hawaii, but would like to go to the Caribbean to get my instructor certification. I was just wondering how to pick a good IDC center? I'm looking at Belize, Honduras, Cozumel and Grand Cayman. Any suggestions?

Utilla Dive Center, They advertise they are the best in the world and they just might be.
The Course Director just won Instructor of the Year' from PADI.
You'll discover that your living expenses while attending an IDC are substantial and often overlooked or underestimated. Utila Island living is cheap and that can make thousands of dollars difference.
I've attended 4 IDCs at UDC and all where rewarding experiences.
When deciding on a IDC facility check the success rate of the students. A good indicator.

I would say Pepe at Buddy Dive Bonaire

Utilla Dive Center, They advertise they are the best in the world and they just might be.
The Course Director just won Instructor of the Year' from PADI.
You'll discover that your living expenses while attending an IDC are substantial and often overlooked or underestimated. Utila Island living is cheap and that can make thousands of dollars difference.
I've attended 4 IDCs at UDC and all where rewarding experiences.
When deciding on a IDC facility check the success rate of the students. A good indicator.

I would have to second everything Yobubba said.

I did my DM at UDC and witness first hand their IDC. The instructors are first class instructors who cared for their students; at least they all did for me when I did my DM.

Contact Andy, their Course Director, and get your information firsthand. He is very personable and helped me with logistics months before I arrived on island.

Here is a review I wrote from my DM course: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/sub...ption&t=428224

Good Luck and enjoy your IDC.

~Oldbear~

I would suggest Barefoot Dive Center on Roatan. More personal approach. Gary Miller is one of the top CDs. He offers IE pass guarantee. Teaches for real life and IE is just easy side effect.

Lodging is included so is diving if you come earlier. When I was there he had 100% first time pass for 9 months straight. Roatan reef is just amazing.

Might want to look at Go Pro Caribbean/Coconut Tree Divers also. PADI Divemaster and Instructor internship Roatan Bay Islands Honduras

Will their CD has a good reputation also. And I've personally dove with Monty - their other CD. Barefoot is smaller with nicer facilities though IMO. Depends on what you want to do other than class - Barefoot is near French Harbor, Go Pro is in the West End. Most of the nightlife/restaurants are also - within walking distance. They also have a big house with pool where they rent rooms to students.

Thank you for all of the tips, this has been very helpful! I'm just looking to make sure that I get a good education from a well-run facility. I feel like I may have missed out on some things throughout my certifications at my current shop. I don't really need to have the nightlife. Just looking for a great experience with some cool people, gain confidence in teaching skills and leading, and be able to stay in affordable accommodation. The mango Inn at Utila Dive Center seemed kind of pricey 90-100+/night and they only include 4 nights in tuition.

Maybe some of these fall within your price range.
Accommodation - Hotels in Utila, The Bay Islands, Honduras
Accommodation - Houses for Rent in Utila, The Bay Islands, Honduras

If cost is a factor you'll need to budget for travel to Utila also. It's either by plane from San Pedro Sula or by ferry from La Ceiba. It's also possible to fly over from Roatan IIRC. Contact Alice at Worldwide Travel for costs/flights. The ferry is the Utila Princess but there's the added cost to getting there from San Pedro Sula - usually by Hedman Alas bus. If you can get a good flight to Roatan it's also possible to get there via the ferries - that costs $100 R/T plus cab fare to/from the airport to the ferry port ($20) The other ferry is the Galaxy and they moor alongside each other in La Ceiba - their schedules are synchronized so you can do both moves in about 4 hrs twice/day. This may be of some help also: http://www.deepblueutila.com/howto.php

If Roatan is of interest you can find plenty of decent accommodations in the $50/nt. range. Posada Arco Iris is one - they rent a 1br with kitchen for $50/60 (hi-low season) - $15 more for A/C. Or a studio for $40/48 with a smaller kitchen. It's conveniently near several dive shops including Coconut Tree, Woody's Market, Sundowners beach bar (cheap, good food) - just a short block east of where the road enters the West End. Argentinean Grille fronts it so there's some noise till about 10/11 most weeknights. Good steaks.

Georphi's also looked decent but that area can be louder at night - closer to the bars. For really inexpensive there's two hostels in the West End - Chillies and Buena Onda. Chillies is just off the main road also - Buena Onda is near the gas station but nothing is very far away in that area - we walked around all week.

Links to all these plus others: Roatán Accomodations | Scuba Diving | Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras | PADI - Chillies is: Chillies: Best Budget Hotel on Roatan Island

Thank you for all of the tips, this has been very helpful! I'm just looking to make sure that I get a good education from a well-run facility. I feel like I may have missed out on some things throughout my certifications at my current shop. I don't really need to have the nightlife. Just looking for a great experience with some cool people, gain confidence in teaching skills and leading, and be able to stay in affordable accommodation. The mango Inn at Utila Dive Center seemed kind of pricey 90-100+/night and they only include 4 nights in tuition.

Lodging at Barefoot on Roatan is included in their package. Their lodging is in West End and you get a shuttle bus there and back daily so you are close to West End.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom