Whats next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PeterVV

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have recently finished IANTD Advanced Nitrox and would like to develop my diving further trough education. I guess the next step in IANTD would be trimix but I am not interested in that because most of the diving I will be doing is deco dives in the 30-45m range on air/nitrox. I would like to expand my deco experience and also do some kind of wreck course. What do you suggest to do next?

I would suggest a Deco Procedures course or a wreck penetration course (not a recreational wreck course). I know NAUI offers both of these if you have a NAUI tech center near you. Another course could be helitrox/heliair to keep your head a little clearer on the deeper dives. Then most important is get out and dive a bit.

Unfortuneatly there is not many NAUI centers in Scandinavia. I am really not inetersted in getting certified diving helium at the moment because I will not be able to use it in my "daily" diving. I agree with the last part and certified for 14 months, 120 dives and adv. nitrox seems ok to me. I do not need to jump into the next course right away but I am just looking on a course to improve my skills sometime in 2010.

Depending on what your instructor is qualified to teach, IANTD also has courses in Technical diver, Advanced & Technical wreck. If your Adv. Nitrox did not have the deco proceedures (it was a combined course in my case), then that would be the way to go first. After my Adv. Nitrox/ Deco Proceedures course, I went into Introductory cave & am currently working on my full cave certification.

TDI Decompression procedures course certifies you to do deco dives on air up till 45 meters with the usage of one decompression gas. Since you're advanced nitrox certified, then your deco gas could be any rich mix you're certified to use. The deco proc course could be taught in conjunction with TDI Advanced Wreck course or TDI Extended Range course. The later certifies you to do deco dives on air up till 55 meters with the usage of two decompression gases.

Thanks for the reply's. I think I will look into the TDI courses.

nadwidny> I do, I feel like getting further education in deco diving.

Since you got certified to use mixtures >40% O2 but apparently not to do any deco what were you planning on diving when you finished your last course? In other words if you aren't ready to just go diving why that course? Are you planning on going diving after deco proceedures?

Greetings PeterVV and I can appreciate your quest for knowledge as I am in a like wise position. I have just completed TDI Adv. Nitrox and Deco. Procedures. I would recommend the Deco. Procedures class and then take your time to gain Deco. dive experience. Dive experience at this level needs to be earned, I am not trying to slam anyone just making a great point my TDI instructor has hammered into me.
I plan on seeking cave training in the near future because the training is superb preparation for wreck penetration and I love caves, always have.
Tri-mix is in there somewhere intertwined with the cave or a GUE / UDT. I am very excited that there is a TECH minded shop in my area now exploring the agencies that are leading in the Tech. diving realm.
Expanding ones diving requires research and time to define your diving goals. Personally I love taking the time to Do It Right, sorry for the play on words! But shameless humor is a welcome mental break at times.
Best wishes and safe diving to you. Enjoy your journey and take your time to gain dive experience as well.
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

Last edited:
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom