Whats involved in the divemaster course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaveDog

Contributor
Reaction score
I was am curious what you actually do in the divemaster course. The websites I've seen don't have much in the way of details. Links or a good description of requirements would be appreciated. Also is their a secret handshake? J/K

Thanks,

Dave

Thanks that page did answer most of my questions. I also am wondering about insurance requirements and costs and what is requires to remain current.

That link covered most of it. You'll also spend a lot of time in the pool bringing your skills up to demonstration quality and doing scenerios for working with students in training. There is also a mapping project to be done in open water.

R..

DaveDog:
Thanks that page did answer most of my questions. I also am wondering about insurance requirements and costs and what is requires to remain current.
This depends on the agency. You must be insured to be an active DM, costs vary with agency. Most agencies probably require you to perform a certain amount of DM work over a period of time (usually not a lot) and pay the annual renewal fee for the certification.
Ber :lilbunny:

DaveDog:
Costs with one major agency in the US:
One-time, initial application - $65
Annual dues - up to $97 (on-line or automatic renewals cheaper).
Annual Liability Insurance - $315, (or $205 if assisting only). Can be cheaper if part of group insurance through your LDS.
DAN or DAN-like health insurance – varies depending on level you choose.
Annual dues and liabililty insurance costs go up if you progress to instructor.

To remain current requires keeping up with changes in standards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom