What's involved in being a DM / Instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alphonsis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm not sure if this is in the right area, but here goes.

I've recently been suggested by my DSO to consider the DM / Instructor training route, believing that I would do well as one.

Self-deprecation aside, I do not have the skills to match my perception of those of a DM / Instructor. Nor do I have the experience.

I realize that a lot of the skills and experience can and will be gained through the course of the various levels of instruction and certification. Starting as an assistant and so on, but it seems like a different world from where I am now.

I currently "assist" with classes. I quoted assist because it's only in the role as being a good buddy for a student when the number of divers is odd, as an extra pair of eyes, to help schlep gear from shore to the dive site, and setup lines, floats, etc.

My question to those of you whom have traveled down the DM / Instructor route is as follows. What motivated you to do it, and looking back, was it the right reason to do it? On a related note, in your opinions, what are the wrong reasons to do the DM / Instructor route?

Thanks in advance!

On a related note, in your opinions, what are the wrong reasons to do the DM / Instructor route?

Thanks in advance!

EGO
Money
Learn how to be a better diver
To dive more

I became an instructor because I enjoy sharing my passion for diving and my wife was sick of listening to me talk diving. Another factor that motivated me is the pro discount on gear.

Looking back, I think I got into it for the right reasons.

My biggest disappointment is seeing the recruitment of fresh divers into the professional level. It's primarily motivated by the fact that these courses are likely the most profitable for the LDS and they are required to certify x number of pros to maintain standing.

I qualified as an Open Water Instructor in April this year. Why? Well I started similar to you, helping out with classes, learning from others mistakes, and learning how to do things better. All the time, I found that I was always learning something to help me and diving. Even better was the sense of achievement in helping others to discover diving, or even sometimes just to clear their mask for the first time. I've been lucky in that my club are supportive. As soon as I'd been to the IFC (first step in UK BSAC instructor route), I was allowed to help teach in the pool as an assistant. I soon realised that only practice can make things better, and there's nothing like real teaching to develop you.

On the down side, I recently had a newly qualified diver at 20m (65ft - within our training and qualification, and the divers experience) who didn't want to stay there. I was able to calm him down, maintain control, and get us both back to the surface in a controlled and safe manner without drama. Back on the boat, it struck me that one or both could have been seriously hurt had I not been able to cope. I just about kept myself together until I we were ashore, and was able to talk to some of our more experienced instructors. There's a responsibility that comes with being an instructor, someone can get hurt if things are allowed to go wrong. After a few chats with other instructors and a beer or two, I got my head around that fact. Being an instructor doesn't just cover the easy times, you have to be able to deal with the problems when or preferably before they can happen.

Looking back, I'm pleased to realise that I have learned a lot about my diving and about me - some things good, some not so good (but getting better!). If you don't want to do that, or to be even more responsible for someone under and above the surface, then just walk away and enjoy your diving.

Oh, and if you're thinking that telling the opposite sex that you're a diving instructor will have them fall over themselves to bed you....nah! I wish!

I too recently went through your thought process.

I have two more confined water dives to do and my exams, then I'll be complete with DM.

Initially I thought I would not go down this path for the simply liability fact. I now carry insurance, an expense.

There was also the cost of class and the classes to get to the DM level.

One of my buddies recently became an instructor. I started AOW with him. I had around 140 some odd dives and hadn't fancied going through AOW. I paid for the books and whatever fees and he put me through the classes at not cost. I was his guinea pig. While going through AOW, he was being critiqued by his instructor. It worked for all. We did the same thing for Rescue. We're doing the same thing for DM.

I've always fancied myself a good trainer and I've always enjoyed training. I was an ACA open water kayak instructor and I loved that.

In the Army I was often put into training roles.

Overcoming the obstacle of the cost of the class, it became a no brainer.

He also promise that there are perks. For instance if you show up on a NC dive boat and show your DM card and doubles, they let you do what you want...i.e. - no insta-buddy.

Now my question is do I want to move onto the instructor level.

Something that I am finding is that I'm getting a lot more dive buddies, both good and bad ones. It's helping me become a better diver and helping me help other to become better divers.

As for the cost, my DM stuff will help me break even on a hobby I enjoy!

I'd do it if they think you'll do well.

Good luck!

My question to those of you whom have traveled down the DM / Instructor route is as follows. What motivated you to do it,

I wanted to get actively involved in training divers.

and looking back, was it the right reason to do it?

It must have been. I'm still at it. :)

On a related note, in your opinions, what are the wrong reasons to do the DM / Instructor route?

- Ego and/or keeping up with the Jones'
- Women
- Money
- To become a better diver, although if you teach regularly there's something to be said about performing basic skills over and over again and growing big antennae for trouble.
- The dive-bum life style which is a big marketing lie.

R..

- To become a better diver, although if you teach regularly there's something to be said about performing basic skills over and over again and growing big antennae for trouble.

This is one area where actively instructing really improves the skill set. SA is crucial for the instructor and keeping track of eight students certainly does improve that skill.

in your opinions, what are the wrong reasons to do the DM / Instructor route?

Thanks in advance!

I'm not a diving instructor. But I do teach in a variety of other arenas. In my view, the ONLY reason to become an instructor in any field is that you have a passion for the field, love teaching, and wish to convey your passion and knowledge to others.

No other reason is sufficient to motivate a person to become an excellent instructor. And if a person can not, or chooses not, to be an excellent instructor, they do a disservice to their students and to all other instructors who's image will be tarnished by association.

I currently "assist" with classes. I quoted assist because it's only in the role as being a good buddy for a student when the number of divers is odd, as an extra pair of eyes, to help schlep gear from shore to the dive site, and setup lines, floats, etc.

Sounds like you already do 80% of a typical DM role... :popcorn:

Sounds like you already do 80% of a typical DM role... :popcorn:
I doubt that's true!

One of the big things that's holding me back is the whole "responsible for someone else's well being". When I think about it and all the things that can go wrong on a dive... :depressed:

Greetings alphonsis and I have been where you are right now. I love diving in a way that I have a desire to pass it on. This began doing just what you are right now and I felt the same way you do. In my time as a DMC and assisting training I have seen many students good and bad and some who are destined to be incredible divers. What I have gained is far beyond what I expected and my fears dispelled by an experience under a mentoring instructor. The biggest question I would have for you is what is your motivation? If diving is a passion and training divers is a part of that then by all means go for it. It is not a get rich position and the gear perks are great but it still costs $$$ to instruct. The headach's of the instructor seat are more than one wants to admit or consider when pondering becoming one. The reward of training new divers and watching them progress into solid capable divers who are moving forward into a future of diving. This is what does it for me, not the gear or the fact you will be lucky to break even. When I become an instructor it will be to train divers because I love diving nothing else. IF it was about anything else it would not be worth doing.
The friends I have made and the dive buddies I have had the pleasure to dive with are without saying. The many hours underwater, experiences, memories, driving home wore out and happy. Being a part of other peoples lives building relationships that have opened many opportunities.
Good luck and give DM a shot, but do the internship program. That way you get the opportunity to see what dive training is really about. Responsibility for others is always present take it deadly serious and no compromise. Follow training guidelines and always make sure the paper work is filled out correctly.
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom