What's in your Save-a-dive kit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do not carry anything more than mentioned above but what I (or my buddies) have had to use are:
1. PG spools and spool o-rings on several occasions.
2. PG hose on one occasion.
3. Regulator hose on one occasion.
4. Wrench to remove a leaking swivel from my regulator.
5. Replace a lost clip.
6. Replace a broken rubber strap on my harness used for a back up light.

Seems like everyone has very similar items in there kits, O-rings, spare straps, hoses, batteries, clips, camera/computer parts, reg parts, tools, small consumables, etc.

One thing that I did not see on people lists is a product call Tear Aid Type A. this stuff is amazing and will save you or a friends dive trip at some point in time. Its just a little sheet so takes up no room but easily fixes holes in counter lungs, wing bladders, etc.

Just recently used it while on and trip in Dahab to fix a leaking counter lung and for those of use that dive CCR's you know that counter lungs are not something your average local dive center keeps in stock so you better have a way to fix it. Also about a year ago I used it to fix a small hole in a friends wing and he is still diving it with the patch on and no issues.

71e2odAvhYL._AC_SY550_.jpg

Thanks everyone for your responses. It will help me in weeding out only the most useful stuff for my own kit

My usual kit, includes plenty of hand tools; first and second stage replacement parts; batteries; IP gauges; redundant regulators / octopuses; hoses, masks, and analogue gauges, which came in handy, having once had to work on a rig one and hundred and twenty nautical miles off of Queensland.

A pared down travel kit, includes much of the same, less Aqua-Seal, which is occasionally confiscated, based upon, what I can gather, is mood at SFO; less, a few more expensive tools, such as torque wrenches, which have to be checked, and are somehow prized by those lowland gorillas of the TSA . . .

I saw a bunch said spare batteries. I keep charged rechargeables around but not for my computer. Replace it once a year or as recommended and get spare puck to go in the water. PDC batteries won’t last and when you put them in the computer they will fail pretty quick. Better to have an entire spare computer in a pocket on every dive than a battery in the bag. Strap, hoses and o-rings are a must, but I always keep extra fins, masks and lead in the car. Pieces like regulators cost money to service, so I will bring them if I have them but would not intentionally own an extra set (my daughter isn’t on every outing, but her regulator can be). When I upgraded to a HP milflex hose, the rubber hose goes into the kit. Things that are easy or frequently lost are purchased cheap as available (I grabbed 4 extra masks when buying some used tanks, tag sale fins, it’s all good).

you can rely on your buddies to help you out now and pass it forward when you have collected more of your spares.

Reactions: Doc
Spare dive computer batteries. Computers & AI stuff. Not just for me, but also for dive buddies & the occasional DM. Yes, I said DM.
I have recently had 2 DM's needing batteries between dives. I get it that most DM's dive a lot more than most rec divers, but they should have their own spares. Oh well...I guess my Boy Scout training mantra of "Be Prepared" really sunk in with me.

My save a dive kit got stolen last weekend, so I've been rebuilding it over the past week
DGX Master Oring Kit (pretty much all the orings except the tank neck orings)
2 HP Spools
2 HP Port Plugs
2 LP Port Plugs
Packet of Tribolube
Blades for all my knives
Spare Reg Necklace
Shearwater Screen Protector
Inflator Service Kit
Spare Button Gauge
Wetsuit Repair Kit
Bladder Flange Gasket
Spare 6" Inflator hose (for my sidemount set and for check IP on regs that don't have an inflator)
2 Yoke Inserts (for getting fills on my tanks at places without DIN fill whips)
2 Spare Cookies and Arrows
Common Spare Bolt Snaps
DR bungee for reg bolt snap (If I need to do a right now attachment)
Spare OPV
2 DIN Reg Dust Caps
Perdix Strap (for my Teric)
Wing attachment screws for BPW
Valve Knob spring and nut
Zip Ties
Spare EPDM Loop for securing flashlights and straps
Spare AA and CR2 Battery
Spare Mask Strap

I also have a tool kit, I keep both in two mask cases.

This one tool replaced several in my tool kit. It is expensive but I will always be grateful to own one. It is the foundation of my tool kit for repairs to my gear whether on the boat or shore.

https://www.amazon.com/KNIPEX-86-05...84S7E7GND2S&psc=1&refRID=NGPF074DR84S7E7GND2S

The Knipex pliers wrench is great. I have the non-padded 5" and 6" version of it in my tool kit. It is easy to adjust and they are the only general purpose wrenches that have jaws small enough to fit between my Shearwater transmitters and my first stages.

Since I also had to replace my tool hit I've also been compacting my tools down. So instead of the pile of hex wrenches, schrader tool, pick, valve wrench, etc. I went with the multitools from DGX. These tools with an IP gauge, and the Knipex wrenches cover almost all the repairs I would want to do in the field.
Compact Scuba Multi-Tool | Dive Gear Express®

Compact Metric Hex-Tool | Dive Gear Express®

Back
Top Bottom