whats in your dive bag (First Aid)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tom wicker

Contributor
Reaction score
I was just skimming through my manual and it got me to thinking. As we all progressed though our diving I would venture to say if like mine our dive bags has grown with us. Up until now I have never given much thought to the packing of First aid supplies in my bag. Short of an Insurance Tag and some sun block :D

Dose anyone keep such devices such as pocket mask, hot and cold packs or in short a Rescue First Aid kit of some sort?

I don’t recall ever seeing a diver pull any from his bag

My first aid kit is in the car. No pocket mask or dive specific stuff. Usually I gear up at the car and proceed directly to the water, so in the car is the most reasonable spot for it.

When boat diving, I use reputable dive ops that have a first aid kit onboard. When first using a dive op I ask about 1st aid kit and O2 bottle.

we carry first aid kits in our car with all the usual bits and pieces that cover everything from space blankets, neck braces, cold and hot packs to bandaids ect

plus

we're 02 certified so a 3ltr o2 tank with masks goes in the car when diving also

we have had to use the O2 before. found a diver in the carpark feeling weak and vomiting. ended up he had a heavy night the night before and by 1pm sunday still had not drunk any fluids since waking up at 6am and 2 boat dives.

cheers

I keep a small first aid kit with bandages, tweezers, eye drops, etc.

But my life-support items include a pocket mask and an Ambu bag.

almitywife:
we carry first aid kits in our car with all the usual bits and pieces that cover everything from space blankets, neck braces, cold and hot packs to bandaids ect

plus

we're 02 certified so a 3ltr o2 tank with masks goes in the car when diving also

we have had to use the O2 before. found a diver in the carpark feeling weak and vomiting. ended up he had a heavy night the night before and by 1pm sunday still had not drunk any fluids since waking up at 6am and 2 boat dives.

cheers

Almitywife may I ask which 02 your cert for? Is it the no resuscitator demand valve, continuous flow or the positive pressure resuscitator (EMT). I ask this because I have this coming up in the very near future. It looks complicated

Hemlon:
I keep a small first aid kit with bandages, tweezers, eye drops, etc.

But my life-support items include a pocket mask and an Ambu bag.

Your Pocket Mask do you have it attached to your body equipment or in a separate land kit?

tom wicker:
Your Pocket Mask do you have it attached to your body equipment or in a separate land kit?

It's in my dive bag. If I were to provide mouth-to-mouth resuscitation before I arrived to my dive bag, I would just provide it without a barrier.

tom wicker:
Almitywife may I ask which 02 your cert for? Is it the no resuscitator demand valve, continuous flow or the positive pressure resuscitator (EMT). I ask this because I have this coming up in the very near future. It looks complicated
hi Tom. DAN o2 provider and we have both demand and continous valves

they arent complicated but i do think its very important to go thru the motions of setting up every 6 or 8 weeks becuase its easy to get flustered, espeically in the event of an emergency and fast action is vital

cheers

Hemlon:
It's in my dive bag. If I were to provide mouth-to-mouth resuscitation before I arrived to my dive bag, I would just provide it without a barrier.

Good point I was thinking the same. It would seem to me to just slow a critical first few seconds while in the water if mouth to mouth was needed. I realize this will be a personal safety issue for some

Hemlon:

those masks were great for in water mouth to mouth but i dont carry one in my pocket though

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom